"My Pet Chicken.com": Shipping Prices for 8 Birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Salt and Light, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I was initially pleased when I saw a website called www.MyPetChicken.com. The site offers to sell/ship as few as three birds. I'm wanting to add a couple egg-layers and thought this was perfect. I was shocked to find that shipping for 5 birds was over $30.00. I can't justify that much money for 5 chicks. What are some other ways to get quality chicks?

2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Stalk Craigslist. That's how I got in touch with a reputable breeder. I too looked into mypetchicken.com, but since I live more than 30 minutes from a major city, I'd have to get 8 chicks! Not enough space, plus I'd worry about them during transit. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Look for breeders in your area who might be willing to sell you a few birds. My Pet Chicken gets their chicks from a hatchery so they really aren't any better quality than any other hatchery.

4. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:yep I paid $35 for 7 chicks with them, you can maybe look for the 25 chicks' special with free shipping but you don't really get to chose the breeds and that's the reason I decided to pay that much for shipping. If 25 is too much for you sell the rest or share with someone else...just some ideas [​IMG]

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    You can order from a place that does 15, and just sell the extras. That is what we did. We bought from Mt Healthy http://www.mthealthy.com/ and ordered 15(they sent 3 extras). Then, just sold the extras. Our shipping was about 13.00 and they sent it Express. We got our little chicks overnight!

6. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    If you can do 25, I went with Welp (for broilers) and they don't have any extra shipping costs, the price of chicks is what you pay. Then if you get some chicks you don't like you could sell them.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Ideal has a $25 minimum purchase. You can probably get that with 8 chicks. Then the shipping will be less than $10 normally.

8. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    So Salt and Light was initially wanting just five birds, and nearly everyone has suggested getting 15 or more....I love chicken math!!!! [​IMG]

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Also check local feed stores. Our local feed store carries chicks through september.

10. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    Quote:Did they tell you that you had to get 8? I'm asking because I have bought a little as 5 and I'm about a hour or more away from the nearest city. Just wondering.

To answer the OP....

I have had good and bad experiences with MPC. That's all I will say in the forum. I'll be happy to answer in more detail in PMs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by