My Pet Chicken.com

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Jaguar6, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever ordered from Mypetchicken.com. Just ordered some hatching eggs and wanted to know other people's experience with them. If eggs got there ok.

2. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    I'm thinking of ordering chicks and eggs from them this spring so I'm interested in replies too [​IMG]

3. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I was also thinking about buying some chicks/hatching eggs from mypetchicken.. i wonder if they have a good fertility rate?

4. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I ordered 24 chicks and they arrived as scheduled, all were and still are, healthy. Never lost any, and only 1 pasty butt. Out of a requested pullet only order, I have
    23 and a roo.

I would order from them again. I also had them vaccinated for Maerks at the hatchery.

They turned 18 wks old today.
    Waiting patiently for the eggs.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I was going to order from them, but then I found some chicks available from a local breeder, instead. I am SO glad I went this route, rather than ordering chicks through the mail (the chickens you get when you order from MyPetChicken are hatchery chicks, too). First of all, I was able to see the conditions of the parent birds before I got the chicks, so I knew about the husbandry practices of the breeder. My chicks were not stressed from shipping, no pasty butts, no mortality, etc. I found a local "chicken friend," and I didn't participate in the industrial hatchery business with everything that goes with that. And the birds I got are wonderful, healthy, strong stock.

If you can check out your options for buying locally first, I'd strongly advise this. Google your town/city with the word "chicken" and see if you come up with local groups. You can also check Yahoo Groups to see if there is a poultry group in your area.

6. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Our six came from there and arrived on time and healthy. I ordered 6 girls and that's exactly what we got.[​IMG]

7. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    I can't imagine it's very easy to find all the breeds I want in my area without going the mail order route. The only breed that MPC doesn't have that I'd like to get right now is the california white leghorn, which is rare. I can get a brown or white leghorn, though, and will be just fine with that. I'm working on a colorful egg basket and so am looking for different color/shade layers, including white.

8. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    I ordered from MPC only once, but I probably wouldn't do it again. The chicks arrived alive and healthy, but I can't say that I trust the quality of their stock or customer service, in the least...

I ordered from them becaus I needed to get three chicks of a certain breed and gender, in order to increase my hens in that flock. It turned out that I lost both of my Blue Andalusian hens within a very short time, leaving the BA rooster all alone. I had to let him back in with the Orpington flock, and luckily he was accepted by the head roo without incident.

In any case, I could tell right away that the order was something less than desired, but I'm now beginning to realize that I might have received an even more "botched" order than I first suspected. I posted a thread regarding my experiences back in September, if you'd like to read more.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=241860

I had assumed that at least two of the three chicks were actually Blue Andalusian pullets, as ordered... until now. They will be 16 weeks old tomorrow, and although they have beautiful blue coloring, they appear to be missing some of the other trademark BA traits. Their combs are still very tiny, and they don't show any of the trademark white "earlobes" yet. Unfortunately, this (combined with the explanation of the red chick's coloring by MPC's customer service) leads me to question the purity of MPC's Andalusian stock! [​IMG]

The "mystery" red chick has turned completely black, but has no beard or puffy cheeks, that would reveal her as an Easter Egger... so I still don't know what breed she is. I may never know unless she happens to lay colored eggs.

I don't think I could trust any orders from MPC in the future. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  9. Jaguar6

Jaguar6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2009
    I ordered 2 dozen of assorted orpington eggs. They say that there should be black, blue, lavender, buff and some others. I hope they get to the destination in good shape. I well let you guys know.

Thanks for the replies

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:I still have mixed feelings about ordering from them again too. I remember your previous thread as well. My biggest issue with them is customer service. Granted, my issue with them was over the summer when a couple other people had issues as well and they were probably very busy. I had a relatively minor issue (at the time) and you know- to this day, they STILL have not responded to a single message. When you want to spend money with them though, they are quick to respond. It is really more annoying than anything.

Still, overall- the chicks I got were decent quality. The white Silkies especially were better quality than typical for a hatchery. That perhaps is more a testament to Meyer than to MPC. I did also though receive several roos in my supposedly sexed bantam order. All that said, I probably would order from them again especially if they have another big sale.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by