My Pet Chicken orders in July

Kel45

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2021
Hello,
New to owning and raising chickens, but my coop is just finally getting finished and I waited to late in the season to get chicks locally! I was curious about others experiences ordering mail chicks in July.
The hatching date for mine are July 7 and should arrive to me shortly after but am so nervous as the weather is already so hot here in Reno, Nevada!
Any advice helps! Thanks so much!

Hey OP - I just got my chicks in Florida in June (from My Pet Chicken) - it was VERY hot, I was super worried about it being 90-95F and them also having a heat pack. They got here fine within 3 days. I hadn't even thought about the temp when I placed my order, so I totally understand your concern.

Hey OP - I just got my chicks in Florida in June (from My Pet Chicken) - it was VERY hot, I was super worried about it being 90-95F and them also having a heat pack. They got here fine within 3 days. I hadn't even thought about the temp when I placed my order, so I totally understand your concern.
Thanks for the reply! How are they doing now? Have all survived after the Inital arrival?

So far so good! We are on week 2 with 6 babies. I've had some scares, these chicks seem to be needier than my first batch. But this is batch 2 of My Pet Chicken chick orders. My original 10 survived, I rehomed 2 because 1 was a roo (unexpectedly, MPC refunded) and the other one was very attached to him so I had them go together. So it's around a year and a half later and I have 8 chickens from that first batch, all laying, doing well!

So far so good! We are on week 2 with 6 babies. I've had some scares, these chicks seem to be needier than my first batch. But this is batch 2 of My Pet Chicken chick orders. My original 10 survived, I rehomed 2 because 1 was a roo (unexpectedly, MPC refunded) and the other one was very attached to him so I had them go together. So it's around a year and a half later and I have 8 chickens from that first batch, all laying, doing well!
That’s so good to hear!! I’ve never had baby chicks nor chickens in general so I’m so nervous about it and keep going back and forth about if I should ha w found somewhere closer to Nevada so shipping isn’t so long 😅

Feel free to call their help line- my first time I was nervous too and they told me what they estimated the delivery time to be. Also calling ahead at your local post office and make sure they know you will be coming to pick them up rather than them sending them on a truck to your house. I can tell you one thing, the UPS delivery date/time for tracking won't be correct. It has screwed with me twice now and made me nervous that I wasn't going to pick them up in time and had me waiting at the post office a day in advance.

Feel free to call their help line- my first time I was nervous too and they told me what they estimated the delivery time to be. Also calling ahead at your local post office and make sure they know you will be coming to pick them up rather than them sending them on a truck to your house. I can tell you one thing, the UPS delivery date/time for tracking won't be correct. It has screwed with me twice now and made me nervous that I wasn't going to pick them up in time and had me waiting at the post office a day in advance.
Thank you I will definitely do that!
Do you have any advice on what I should do or have on hand before/ when I bring them home?

I ordered from MPC in May of last year. I live in South Louisiana. The chicks arrived just fine- they may put in a cool pack in your shipment.
Thank you I will definitely do that!
Do you have any advice on what I should do or have on hand before/ when I bring them home?
You should definitely have electrolytes on hand. You can mix your own, or you can use Sav-A-Chick powder or Nutridrench, both found at TSC or feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom