My Pet Chicken Review.

Momszoo

Chirping
9 Years
May 24, 2012
I want to start by saying I've always loved the quality of My Pet Chicken and the staff are very friendly and helpful. That's why I was so surprised with my last batch of chicks from them last spring. I ordered Orpingtons and Wyandottes in various colors. They all arrived on time and healthy. In fact they're still alive and healthy and will be 1yr in May. My problem is that the chicks that are in higher demand appear to be A LOT smaller than the breed standard. My buff Orpingtons almost look like bantams while my (rather expensive) blue Orpingtons are big, plump and beautiful! The golden laced, silver laced and Columbian Wyandottes are just as small as the buffs are and the blue laced red Wyandottes are just as big as the blue Orpingtons. And their eggs are way smaller than a "normal" egg which means I had to lower my price per dozen since I only have 4 of the standard size chickens now. I guess my suggestion to anyone ordering from this site is, don't expect the more popular birds to be top quality. It appears the rarer or harder to find ones get the special attention. I'd still recommend this site for someone starting a small backyard flock but this year I ordered from Meyer Hatchery (which is where MPC gets all their chicks from) since I didn't need to keep it to a small number and pay the crazy expensive shipping fee.

I can say that the flock I got from MPC is also a healthy happy bunch but I did notice one of my SLW is what you might consider "runt" size. Eggs are probably medium sized and I'm still hoping they will get bigger. I got mine in September of 2015 and they started laying at 22 weeks old. I was pleased with MPC for our first flock and that we got to choose such a variety.

If I only had one "runt" I wouldn't have bothered to mention it. But all 4 buff Orpingtons and all my Wyandotts except the blue laced red were small. That's 11 birds out of 16 that produce small eggs. I can't even call them medium. They have a great disposition and are fine in every other way...just small. :(

My chickens are small too I don't have any others to compare to but mine are 2 years old and most of them are about 5lbs 2 are larger around 6 to 7lbs If you look up to standard weight mine should all weigh more, their eggs however are large now

Hello everyone,
I thought I should weigh in on my experience with MyPetChicken and the associated hatchery. I rescued a chick locally and needed a buddy or two to keep her company. The best option was MyPetChicken so that I could just get the least amount of chicks and not have a huge minimum order or even worse, do business with a company that uses male chicks as "packing bubbles"! I ordered 3 mottled cochins and 1 speckled sussex. I most wanted the cochin for my rescued bantam and indicated that I would allow substitutions for any of the others to minimize any delays. We got what we ordered and they were in good shape after their travels. They were well packed and cushioned with heat packs. One of the cochins was smaller and that is the one we kept along with the Sussex and found homes for the other 2 cochins since our nest is full. I had great customer service from MPC via email with Jason. He responded very quickly and even during what appeared to be after hours for MPC. My chicks are only just 1 1/2 weeks old but they seem vibrant and healthy!!

I just ordered from My Chicken Pet. My order will be in next week--5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Barred Rocks. I'll let everyone know how my experience goes. They have a lot of negative reviews but I didn't see any of them until after I ordered. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

My pet chicken. 2 THUMBS UP. We ordered Buff Brahmas and New Hampshire Reds in Feb, arrived when they said they would, good shape, out of 25, we have 2 roo's. Good sized eggs, all healthy birds. We will be breeding our own going forward, but if needed we won't hesitate to order from them again.

I'm glad so many people have had success with MPC. They're very friendly and I love that they care for their chickens. My only fault with them was that so many were not breed standard size. I have purchased buff orpingtons from them before and they were the proper size. It was just surprising that 11 of my 16 were so small. Maybe when they get busy with orders, any healthy chick will do? I still recommend MPC to friends who want a few chickens.
1f60a.png

Last edited:
MPC is the only place I order from. I have gotten plenty of different breeds and all have been healthy, and sexed correctly.

I always get a few buff Orpingtons with every order and mine haven't been undersized. They aren't show breeder size like the more exotic colored ones are.

They are a larger breed and need about 2 years to fully mature and fill out. I recommend keeping them on a higher protein feed like a grower and not switching to layer at 6 months which can keep them from reaching full size.

I will say the 2 year old ones aren't as big of bone as my 8 year old hens, so they have gotten slightly smaller, but are still nice birds.

I haven't really ever had any troubles with them or their stock, and I enjoy their website which is very user friendly.

Back
Top Bottom