my pet chicken reviews

Pics
Personally, I would go for Meyer Hatchery instead of My Pet Chicken.

Of course Meyer does not supply as much equipment as MPC, but chick wise, the shipping price is better.
Shipping for MPC was $40 while Meyer was only $20. Although I did order from MPC, I am regretting the price I paid and the $50 difference that I can never get back.
he.gif
barnie.gif
hit.gif
th.gif

It was not worth the cost when smaller amounts of chicks were not only shipped from MPC but Meyer as well.
sad.png

Last edited:
That looks just like my Red Star too - they are the most awesome chickens I've owned so far and bought three more because they are so hardy, reliable and fun to own. My only downside I can see thus far is the six month old Red Star picks on the 2 month old ones (a bit) she is a real bully. Caught me by surprise because I had expected her to be nicer to them because they look like tiny copies of her but she respects the other six month old Australorps and Langshans and bullies the babies around so much I worry about them a little sometimes but they all appear healthy so far.

Last edited:
Personally, I would go for Meyer Hatchery instead of My Pet Chicken.

Of course Meyer does not supply as much equipment as MPC, but chick wise, the shipping price is better.
Shipping for MPC was $40 while Meyer was only $20. Although I did order from MPC, I am regretting the price I paid and the $50 difference that I can never get back. :he  :barnie  :hit :th

It was not worth the cost when smaller amounts of chicks were not only shipped from MPC but Meyer as well.  :(  

A good number (most) of MPC orders are indeed drop-shipped from Meyer. MPC is not a hatchery, just a middleman that orders from Meyer for you. In conclusion, order from Meyer.

Last edited:
A good number (most) of MPC orders are indeed drop-shipped from Meyer. MPC is not a hatchery, just a middleman that orders from Meyer for you. In conclusion, order from Meyer.
Agreed - MPC may charge a little more because they are acting as agent for multiple other hatcheries not just Meyer. If you check their site they are happy to redirect people to the hatcheries directly and do not appear to be trying to "sneak one by" anyone. Their full service and excellent "in stock" followup support and replacement policies are still worth considering. I don't know how anyone could spend $50 more at MPC than direct but it must have been a lot of birds being ordered.

My last shipment of Buff Orpingtons from MPC were excellent. I have decided I love those birds even more than the Red Stars. The Langshans are also noteworthy and hardy if a bit rogue (full of personality)

"I ordered six silkies when the chicks arrived one was doa and one was severely disabled unable to walk the next day one that seemed perfectly healthy died"...

Late update: I got the call on Tuesday morning bright and early I opened the box and all of them were alive and trying to jump out!!! I even got the breeds that were sold out, and I had asked about their availability!!!! They are so sweet and better then the chicks I usually get at the feed store. They are so friendly they come running to you when you open the cage door!! It's a hard job keeping them in there
Did you ask for the mareks vac on the order? I'm still trying to find out if this is a risk to the birds my loss rate on two shipments with mareks lost 50% and 20% and the shipment without mareks lost 0% (one of the birds seems slightly retarded or something though he always lags and remains behind in the henhouse when the others move outside to range)

Last edited:
Regarding marek's vacs, my shipment of six chicks back in May included marek's vaccinations. They are all doing fine so far (knock on wood.)

By the way, this is month 8 and we're finally getting eggs from all 6 hens. The hold out was our little black australorp who laid for a week or so in October but took a break until a few days before Christmas. The other Australorp was last to lay, if I remember correctly, she held out til month 7. One of the two red stars is a champ layer, producing a jumbo egg with hardly a skipped day, similar to the other red star who is as consistent but with smaller eggs. The barred rocks are middle of the pack, consistent with smaller eggs but both are obnoxious and bite me whenever I enter the run. On average I get around 5 eggs per day, which for us is a lot!

I ordered my flock of 13 from My Pet Chicken w/o Mareks. They arrived the first of August and all survived. (Although my Easter Egger ran away just before Thanksgiving, scared off by a leaf blower.) Just got my first egg yesterday!! Whoo Hoo! Not sure who laid it, but I'm thinking one of the Barred Rocks as they have had bright red combs for a few weeks now.

That looks just like my Red Star too - they are the most awesome chickens I've owned so far and bought three more because they are so hardy, reliable and fun to own. My only downside I can see thus far is the six month old Red Star picks on the 2 month old ones (a bit) she is a real bully. Caught me by surprise because I had expected her to be nicer to them because they look like tiny copies of her but she respects the other six month old Australorps and Langshans and bullies the babies around so much I worry about them a little sometimes but they all appear healthy so far.
We had a hatchery red star. She got so mean, she pecked all the other hens feathers out (well, at least their neck and tail). We finally had to send her to the birdy boiler. :( She was an awesome layer though!

Did you ask for the mareks vac on the order? I'm still trying to find out if this is a risk to the birds my loss rate on two shipments with mareks lost 50% and 20% and the shipment without mareks lost 0% (one of the birds seems slightly retarded or something though he always lags and remains behind in the henhouse when the others move outside to range)
im so sorry its such a late response but no I did not get mareks vaccinations because I only have 15 chickens

I ordered from My Pet Chicken years ago with our first bantams, and we got some of the sweetest birds! The hens were not show quality, but my black Japanese is the sweetest, most docile chicken I've ever seen, and she's a great mother as well. They answered all of my questions and really helped us get started Since we were really clueless and had never had chicks before. I also love that you can order small quantities from them since I have a pretty small chicken coop. I've ordered just three from them this spring because they don't have all of the ones I want in stock (You snooze, you lose!) I should have ordered earlier. With bigger orders that I've split with friends, I've had good luck with Meyer Hatchery and Murray McMurray, but I don't show my birds, so I can't comment on that. We just keep them as pets and for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom