my pet chicken reviews

Pics
They are terrible. Prices exorbitant. They broker meyer hatchery chicks. All my chicks were fine but i paid mpc $40 for a lavender orpington and meyer charges $25. 3-4 chick minimum either way depending on where you live. I have heard tho that meyer does not have a very good record at sexing chicks. One of my 7 was a cockerel. I was pretty sure he was at 5 wks with big dark red comb and wattle. He started crowing at 8 wks so i re homed him immediately. I notified mpc but they said i have to wait a minimum of 2 more weeks to be sure hes a rooster. Really? Since when do pullets crow! Plus they want a picture of him..he's gone folks! When i ordered lots and lots of chicks from murray mcmurray they never once mis-sexed a chick. Course you have to get a much bigger minimum there. Dont know why if its summer and you arent far away.

I'm really sorry you are so unhappy with MPC. To each his own, I guess. By the way, pullets DO crow. I've had two of them that did - both Buff Orpingtons. And just like a cockerel, the older they got the more pronounced and persistent the crowing got. Am I sure they were girls? Well, the eggs they laid were delicious.
idunno.gif

I was 99% sure he was a cockerel at about age 5-6 wks. Huge very red wattle and comb. Way he looked. The crowing cinched it for me. Interesting about crowing hens. Ive raised hundreds and hundreds of chickens...never had one crow.

I am not thrilled with my first order from mypetchicken.com, and I doubt that I will look to order from them again.

This was my first experience with chickens, and being such I wanted insure that I ordered exactly what I wanted from an online breeder vs. trying to match up with someone (I hadn't made any "chicken network connections" yet.) I ordered 4 chicks total, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers.

I became highly suspicious that one of my B.O.s was a roo when one morning around 5-6 weeks old I approached their brooder and a bright red comb sat on top of one of their faces, while the other chick remained bare. I gave it a few weeks, and then once the more obvious signs of a rooster became apparent, I called MPC to request my guaranteed refund. While on the phone, I inquired about shipping refunds for incorrect sexing--- there is no policy for this listed on their website, so I figured it didn't hurt to ask. After all, the chicks were around $3.50, but shipping them had cost around $65.00. The customer service representative did not know the answer, but assured me that she would find out and call me back. I never heard from her again. Seeing as it was $3.50 I was out of and doubtful that shipping would be reimbursed, I wrote it off as a sunk cost.

Now, my white Easter Egger is crowing. Two of the four are cockerels. Expect a 50/50 success rate with their sexing. For those odds, you may as well get a straight run and save yourself some annoyance, and instead try to find delight in the "surprise" of a hen vs. rooster.
tongue.gif

Where I will be fair and give them credit: all chicks arrived alive and healthy. The representative on the phone was quite pleasant.

I'm disappointed to have had such a poor first experience... I've really fallen in love with Orpingtons in general and was hoping to get some of the harder to find variations the MPC, but I cannot deal with having a shipment full of roosters again.
barnie.gif

I'm continually surprised how people can have such different experiences with the same place. I've found their customer service to be stellar....sounds like what they really should be working on is consistency in customer service. Sexing day old chicks isn't an exact science, unfortunately, but in my dealings with them I've had no issues. Ordered 5 Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets, 5 Buff Orpington pullets, 5 Red Stars (no brainer on sexing there), and 5 Easter Egger pullets last year, and that's exactly what I got. I lost a couple of chicks due them being held too long in the postal facility in Casper, Wyoming too long, in sub-zero weather , but that wasn't MPC - that was 100% postal system. I bought some "pullet chicks" at a feed store to replace the ones I lost (plus a couple), and out of 6 ended up with 3 roos. Hmmm

This year I ordered 8 Buff Brahma pullets, and I got 8 Buff Brahma pullets. I think maybe recommending a hatchery is a little like recommending a favorite restaurant....sure enough, as soon as you talk someone in trying it that will be the night the food stinks and the service is terrible.
he.gif

Last edited:
same here never had a sexing issue, though I think they only guarantee 90% like most places, plus I don't think they actually are sexing the chicks. I will keep ordering from them, I usually factor in human error, there are things worse in life than an unexpected rooster.

I am not thrilled with my first order from mypetchicken.com, and I doubt that I will look to order from them again.

This was my first experience with chickens, and being such I wanted insure that I ordered exactly what I wanted from an online breeder vs. trying to match up with someone (I hadn't made any "chicken network connections" yet.) I ordered 4 chicks total, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Easter Eggers.

I became highly suspicious that one of my B.O.s was a roo when one morning around 5-6 weeks old I approached their brooder and a bright red comb sat on top of one of their faces, while the other chick remained bare. I gave it a few weeks, and then once the more obvious signs of a rooster became apparent, I called MPC to request my guaranteed refund. While on the phone, I inquired about shipping refunds for incorrect sexing--- there is no policy for this listed on their website, so I figured it didn't hurt to ask. After all, the chicks were around $3.50, but shipping them had cost around $65.00. The customer service representative did not know the answer, but assured me that she would find out and call me back. I never heard from her again. Seeing as it was $3.50 I was out of and doubtful that shipping would be reimbursed, I wrote it off as a sunk cost.

Now, my white Easter Egger is crowing. Two of the four are cockerels. Expect a 50/50 success rate with their sexing. For those odds, you may as well get a straight run and save yourself some annoyance, and instead try to find delight in the "surprise" of a hen vs. rooster.
tongue.gif

Where I will be fair and give them credit: all chicks arrived alive and healthy. The representative on the phone was quite pleasant.

I'm disappointed to have had such a poor first experience... I've really fallen in love with Orpingtons in general and was hoping to get some of the harder to find variations the MPC, but I cannot deal with having a shipment full of roosters again.
barnie.gif

If there was a 50% error on your order then you qualify for a reshipment of you order.

same here never had a sexing issue, though I think they only guarantee 90% like most places, plus I don't think they actually are sexing the chicks. I will keep ordering from them, I usually factor in human error, there are things worse in life than an unexpected rooster.

They are actually the only place that 100% guarantees the sexing of their chicks. Mistakes do happen though and they refund for them.

Back
Top Bottom