my pet chicken reviews

Pics
Thank you! I just got an order from Murray McMurray and out of 19, 3 WC Polish were DOA. I also have a SS Hamburg that is struggling. She was very cold when I got them home. There are only 6 coming from MPC, which is why I'm hoping there's a heat pack!

I've had the MPC orders arrive both times with a heating pack, one in October with 10 chicks and actually 2 heating packs for the delivery earlier this month with 12 chicks. Both times with that thick cushion- heating packs are underneath the cushion, not readily visible unless you look for it.

The babies have arrived! I could hear them chirping away in the back of the post office before the mail carrier brought them out front! They were well-packed with a heat pack underneath a tightly-woven, thick and cushiony nesting pad. Although they were in transit for over 24 hours, they were bright-eyed, active, and chatty. :) Thank you, MPC! I can't wait to receive my bantam order at the end of May.

Just one question, though. One of the little girls is a "Rare Marans." In looking at pictures of the different varieties of Marans you sell, I've narrowed her down to either a Black Copper Marans or a Golden Cuckoo Marans. Is there any way to find out which one she is before she begins to feather out? The pictures of the two chicks look remarkably similar, even down to the dark legs with pink toes. She's a beauty, whichever variety little Delphine is!

thumbsup.gif

She's a black copper marans. She looks just like my BCM's and a cuckoo marans should have a dot on the head.

Good to know that I can request one. I didn't worry about the shipping too much initially because I assumed at the end of April our temps would be warmer. Unfortunately, it was 45 degrees and rainy yesterday and we got frost overnight. I really don't understand why Amazon can guarantee my packages in less than 48 hours, but the hatcheries can't.
idunno.gif
I'm nervous about my shipment on Monday too I made certain they were aware of the weather conditions this far north by putting an extra note in the messages portion of the order form and was sent a note assuring me there would be heat packs.

I also am an addicted Amazon customer. Unfortunately, hatcheries have no choice but to use the post office (the least reliable shipper hands down) because both FedEx and UPS have a policy against shipping live anything. (no idea why but I assume it's liability issues).

Good news! I got a call from my PO that my MPC order was there at 1:30. Picked them right up! All 6 were bright eyed! One of them seems to be struggling a bit right now, but I'll give it some TLC and hope for the best.

She's a black copper marans. She looks just like my BCM's and a cuckoo marans should have a dot on the head.
Thank you so much! I will look forward to her super dark eggs in a few months. My Welsummer lays gorgeous dark brown eggs with speckles, but I've read (and seen pictures) of BCM eggs that are even darker.

Is there anything in the world that brings as much pure joy as the cuteness of newly-hatched chicks? Every single batch is always just as exciting as the very first one. Love them!

I'm nervous about my shipment on Monday too I made certain they were aware of the weather conditions this far north by putting an extra note in the messages portion of the order form and was sent a note assuring me there would be heat packs.
If it makes you feel any better, I just checked the heat pack that shipped with my chicks on the same day as yours. It's still toasty warm! I hope you receive your babies first thing in the morning.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
If it makes you feel any better, I just checked the heat pack that shipped with my chicks on the same day as yours. It's still toasty warm! I hope you receive your babies first thing in the morning.
jumpy.gif
Awwww, that does make me feel better. I didn't word my post correctly tho I think. My babies aren't supposed to ship until this coming Monday (May 2nd).

Back
Top Bottom