My pet chicken

Erick - Nature's Hatchery has a small order program, where you can get a small number based on your zip code. Go to www.natureshatchery.com. I haven't ordered from them yet, but customer service answering e mails was great. I considered getting just a few and going with their program, but I've now decided to bump it up to 15 chicks, which is their minimum if you don't go with the small order program. I think the lowest number of chicks they would sell is 4. They're just southwest of Chicago, so the site says. Good luck!

PLEASE check the shipping charge !!!!!!
might be better to get some friends together and get a bigger order from somewhere else ?
I got 15 chicks from them and cost about $80 , could have gotten 50 chicks somewhere else for same money.
most places the shipping is included in price but not at MYPETCHICKEN .. JUST CHECK AROUND.

hope this helps
BOB:)

Yeah, I am totally with Bob. Remember to factor in the additional charges for the small order!! My shipping with MPC was something like $35. I could have just ordered 25 chicks for the same price. For some people that don't have room for 25 birds (the minimum at a lot of hatcheries), the extra expense may be worth it. For me though, I could have just as easily ordered more chicks than I did. Of course, I think all their charges are posted. It is nobodies fault, but my own for not checking.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from MPC although I had a problem they made it right (and that's all you can ask of folks). I ordered 6 Welsummer pullets last July and when they developed I had 3 roosters and 3 hens. Quite distressing when one has a small flock and its hard to get rid of roosters! They were kind of sticky asking for a photo to prove they were roosters, but in the end gave me an order number to order 3 pullets of any breed I chose, plus free shipping. Told them I would wait until Spring 2010. They agreed there was no excuse for a 50% percentage error in such a tiny order and went to bat for me with their grower. Welsummer chicks can be sexed by the severity of their head coloring so it looked like someone just grabbed the first 6 chicks handy to them. I still have 3 roosters I don't know what to do with(had one already as the flock breeder). Tthey are so big and beautiful I don't have the heart to butcher them. Anyone need a beautiful Wellie Roo?

There is absolutely no excuse for 50% sexed incorrectly on LF birds! That is unheard of. It sounds like they simply sent you straight run. If someone actually sexed them and got that many wrong (and not even bantams!), that is pretty sad. Now, I don't feel so bad that they got so many of my bantams wrong.

Editing to add- I will say again though, that I would probably consider ordering through them again if they had something on sale that I really wanted. Overall, the birds I got are pretty good quality (other than the sexing issue). Some of the birds, the white Silkies and some Cochins, are far above the typical "hatchery quality". That makes it easier to just blow it off as a mistake and not be terribly upset about it

Last edited:
I got a few girls from them to even out my roo ratio. The birds are almost full grown now- and pretty decent. One in particular- black LF cochin - is stunning and friendly. The nly problem was they were lost in the mail. It was not MPC's fault- and they helped me every step of the way to track them down,

Quote:
I don't know where you're located, but I try to buy from hatcheries close to me in hopes of reducing stress on the chicks. I order from Meyers http://www.meyerhatchery.com/ and I know for sure MPC has filled some of their orders through Meyers as MPC has used them for drop shipments.

Meyers also takes small orders - check their website. I've been very happy with their birds. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom