My Pet Cornish X (Update)

Wow! That is so awesome! She looks very slim and healthy! Her comb is reddening up too
wink.png
. I wish someday I could get a Cornish X as a pet. They seem sweet, and of course, all (most), are generally slaughtered. It would be nice to save one. I'm a vegetarian, and my chickens are pets. I would be doing the exact same thing as you! How much does she eat every day? Is she freindly? Where did you get her? Sorry for the questions. She looks awesome!
thumbsup.gif
Exactly how old is she?

Wow! That is so awesome! She looks very slim and healthy! Her comb is reddening up too ;) . I wish someday I could get a Cornish X as a pet. They seem sweet, and of course, all (most), are generally slaughtered. It would be nice to save one. I'm a vegetarian, and my chickens are pets. I would be doing the exact same thing as you! How much does she eat every day? Is she freindly? Where did you get her?  Sorry for the questions. She looks awesome! :thumbsup  Exactly how old is she?

thanks!
she's 19 weeks now. close to laying age! very excited!
she's very dirty haha. :D

i read and watch a lot about animals, and one day i saw how these 'broilers' suffer under human influence.
so i decided to keep and save five chicks (thats all i can take that time). i have a neighbor that has a big farm,
she loves chickens too, and also wants to keep broilers as pets, so i gave her the other four.

in not an expert but these 2 things i did kept her healthy.

FOOD - limitation is the key to keep them longer. i really don't know how i limited her food, i just estimated it.
i fed them only once a day. for five chicks i gave about half a cup a day (approximately 2 tbsp per chick per day) .
and when she grew up i fed her strictly 1/2 cup a day and lots of water and some greens. she sometimes sneak
up and go to the leghorn's pen to eat some layer feed. haha what a funny chicken :D and by the way, i didn't worry
that she might starve, her body fats will be used up instead, keeping her slim.

this technique will help to keep leg problems too (very common in broilers). their growth will slow down,
allowing her bones to catch up and support her heavy body.

FREE-RANGE - i free ranged her as much as possible, this stimulates running around for bugs, thus, getting some
exercise to keep her slim.

they're very sweet and docile in nature and always comes to you to beg for food. haha :lol: .

a pic of her when she was 7 weeks (usually the slaughter age)

Has she layed for you yet? I have 4 pullets from last years meat flock and wanted to try saving some for breeding, and I was able to. They free ranged all fall/winter/spring until penned them for breeding. They lay well and have hatched and more coming in the near future. Mine are roughly 13 months old and do well. I have them with an Austra-White rooster now, before they were FR with him, BA and BSL roosters. And 1 I think mated with my EE before I removed him from the flock since I have a suspected bearded chick.

Hey @bluefeather2697 ........it's been more than 2 years........ but can you update us on your CX girl?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom