1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*My petchicken eggs??*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi Im about to order some silkie eggs (some of you may seen my recent posts! [​IMG] ) But Im wondering how are mypetchicken fertile eggs?? Is there a big hatch rate? Not including my incubating skills (which is only my second time... [​IMG] ) But thats why I have you guys!!!!! [​IMG]

Any advice? Comments on this hatchery? Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    MPC is not a hatchery. THey get their chicks from IDEAL Meyer and other hatcheries.
    So the eggs are more than likely from there too. Hatchery eggs are almost always more expensive than eggs BYC and ebay.

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:They are more exspensive....

Also Im glad you told me that! I was wondering by their website! [​IMG]

So does that not make them hatch as well?? [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Anytime you get shipped eggs you run the risk of them not hatching. The post office is not real gentle handling them. If you could find someone around you within driving distance you will have a better hatch rate. Check craigslist or try to find breeders in your area. I have done shipped eggs and some have had good hatch rate others nothing hatched. Your money would be better spent if you could find local.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:They are more exspensive....

Also Im glad you told me that! I was wondering by their website! [​IMG]

So does that not make them hatch as well?? [​IMG]

never ordered from a hatchery . I alsways ordered from ebay. I had 100% fertil(but not hatch) but 0% hatch. THey are shipped and everything can happen.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    All the Hatching eggs come from Gabbard Farms.

http://shop.gabbardhatchingeggs.com/
    Here's the link. Mypetchicken.com is a drop shipper. I have never ordered from Gabbard Farms so I have no idea how well they package and etc.

Good Luck! Oh and why not just ask your BYC friends here and see if they have what you are looking for. [​IMG]

7. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    MPC gets their eggs from Gabbard Farms.
    I have some in the incubator currently, and out of 10 I have 3 showing development on day 10. Personally, I think you do pay a lot for the quality you get. I would recrommend saving yourself the money and buying directly from someone on here, or from a good seller on ebay. Best of luck!

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:LOL
    We think alike! [​IMG]

To the OP: What exactly are you looking for? Breed Wise?

9. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:LOL
    We think alike! [​IMG]

To the OP: What exactly are you looking for? Breed Wise?

Im looking for 1 dozen white or splash silkie eggs. Im so glad I didnt order from MPC. I have someone on her I may contact to get eggs from. If any of you have cheaper prices thna MPC let me know please!!! [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] I've ordered her Spitzhauben hatching eggs and they were OK. All of them were culled out as pets. I've had better success elsewhere for the same breed.

I would avoid ordering from MPC for hatching eggs. Just go thru the BYC or Ebay or private breeders elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by