My pigeons built their nest on the floor

Kalyka

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
Is it okay to leave it like that? I feel like I read somewhere that it wasn't good to have them on a flat surface. The wire of the bottom is covered with straw, and they have piled more straw and leaves on top. The cage is elevated inside a run, but we're going on a trip in a few days, so I won't be able to let them in the run while we're gone because the run isn't completely snake proof. They will be sharing the cage with one other pigeon. Should I move the nest and egg, or should I leave it like it is? I don't want the babies trampled, but I'm worried that the parents being new to this, they might freak out that I moved their nest.

Should I move the nest and egg, or should I leave it like it is? You have at least a chance of it hatching if you leave it as it is. If you move it you will have none. I have had pigeons that laid eggs on the floor, made their make shift nest next to the nest bowl, up in the rafters, inside boxes and everything turned out fine. For some reason they are doing what they think is right and and they could care less what you think. Do not tamper with the eggs or squabs until the squabs are able to eat on their own it is only 3 to 4 weeks after hatching or you will be sorry you did. It is ok to pick up an egg or squab and return it to the nest immediately after inspecting it. Take it from someone who has learned the hard way.

First time parents seem to get thing right the second time (but not always.)

Last edited:
I was just worried the other pigeon might get over-bullied because the nest has no real ending place, or that he would break the eggs or something.

I was just worried the other pigeon might get over-bullied because the nest has no real ending place, or that he would break the eggs or something.

In a perfect world the parents will keep the third pigeon at bay. The cock bird should be able to handle him or her I am guessing. You would be wise to move the bird especially if the space is confining and the bachelor bird is unable to flee aggression..

Is the nest in the corner?

If so you could add a barrier to one side.. so only the top and one side are open... that will make it easier for the pigeon parents to defend the nest.

You could use a few bricks or a plastic container or something like that.

Yes, it is in a corner. The cage has roosts in it so I hung a towel up in the middle that covers the top part and also stapled a metal container onto the the roost above her head so if the others decide to sit up there they won't poop on her. Now she has a sort of apartment feel, with food and water, a roost, and the nest.

I was on a trip for the past week, and when I came back this hen I've been talking about had a limp. I'm starting another thread on it, but I just wanted to say it here too. Other than limping the only thing that looks weird with her leg and foot is that there's a sort of blue stripe (of blood?) going down her leg that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before. Otherwise she seems okay, it's not swollen, not hotter than the other one, and she can use it, because when she flies around she uses it to land, but as soon as she's balanced she pulls it up again. What do you think this is? Did she pull a muscle from sitting on the nest and then flying around?

That's strange.

Check she has not got any material from the towel wrapped around her leg.

Also they can go lame after laying eggs if they don't have enough calcium.

Make sure she has crushed oyster shell grit, crushed eggshells, or pigeon calcium minerals to eat.

yeah, that's probably what it is, I ran out of oyster shell about a month ago and haven't been able to get anymore yet.

Back
Top Bottom