My Pineapple (the Guinea fowl) is acting quite 'foul' (if you will...)

pasdechat73

Songster
Feb 22, 2020
Julian, California
Apologies for this late evening post, but it would be great to have some ideas.

Anyways, to make a long story short...our Pineapple (a male Guinea fowl) ended up in our yard on 10/21/18. No idea where he came from...

He's been with us ever since, but has begun to act aggressively toward my 2 roos: One Senior; Other Junior.

Any ideas about this sudden flip of the switch in his behaviour? I immediately thought of spring and mating (and he does claim 2 chicken wives) and all that territorial stuff...even though he's never exhibited such jealous tendencies in the past...

And to be honest, we love him dearly. He's just acting like an ass right now...

Attachments

• Ayla and Pineapple.png
    Ayla and Pineapple.png
    739.7 KB · Views: 14
Guineas be crazy!!

I have never had one that is truly “normal”.

I assume you live somewhere without snow and ice and spring comes before July..

I have seen them act sweet and luvable for a month (towards each other) then something happens and they want to kill one of their own.

I always had enough Guineas so they could keep their craziness in house, so to speak.

I would never recommend raising one guinea alone. I have no idea how you would introduce more to this one.

I think you need 8-10 at least to help curb the nutso psycho behavior.

Btw.. what makes you think your guinea is a male? Have you heard the sounds it makes and could you describe them to us?

Thanks and good luck.

Guineas be crazy!!

I have never had one that is truly “normal”.

I assume you live somewhere without snow and ice and spring comes before July..

I have seen them act sweet and luvable for a month (towards each other) then something happens and they want to kill one of their own.

I always had enough Guineas so they could keep their craziness in house, so to speak.

I would never recommend raising one guinea alone. I have no idea how you would introduce more to this one.

I think you need 8-10 at least to help curb the nutso psycho behavior.

Btw.. what makes you think your guinea is a male? Have you heard the sounds it makes and could you describe them to us?

Thanks and good luck.

Apologies if this comes thru strange...using the phone.

I am believe he is male as he has a thing for my 2 Russian Orloff hens...he keeps both in check, even if it doesn't come about. I also have co-worker from Zimbabwe and another friend in the East who are pretty sure as they use sling shots to get them out of (trees) hiding and proceed to slow them down. Both friends believe him to be male...but that I cannot confirm.

Apologies if this comes thru strange...using the phone.

I am believe he is male as he has a thing for my 2 Russian Orloff hens...he keeps both in check, even if it doesn't come about. I also have co-worker from Zimbabwe and another friend in the East who are pretty sure as they use sling shots to get them out of (trees) hiding and proceed to slow them down. Both friends believe him to be male...but that I cannot confirm.
And you mentioned his vocals (sounds) too...quite tenor and piercing. Everyone knows its him when he starts wailing...I should have named him "bird" after mr. Charlie parker...

Apologies for this late evening post, but it would be great to have some ideas.

Anyways, to make a long story short...our Pineapple (a male Guinea fowl) ended up in our yard on 10/21/18. No idea where he came from...

He's been with us ever since, but has begun to act aggressively toward my 2 roos: One Senior; Other Junior.

Any ideas about this sudden flip of the switch in his behaviour? I immediately thought of spring and mating (and he does claim 2 chicken wives) and all that territorial stuff...even though he's never exhibited such jealous tendencies in the past...

And to be honest, we love him dearly. He's just acting like an ass right now...
Raging hormones. It is the start of breeding season. This is normal behavior for guinea fowl.

Back
Top Bottom