my plan (help, I am new)

cajun Rabbit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Hey yall.
We are new to raising chicks (have 4 layers now, only 6 weeks old or so) and am wanting to make a plan for next 'rotation' of birds.

Here is my plan, please comment and let me know if I am missing something, way off base, tips or tricks
big_smile.png

When my hens are about a 12-16 months old, I want to order more day old chicks, I figure that by the time that the chicks are ready to come out of brooder, I can put the older chickens in the freezer (RIR an WD). I am thinking to get 6 or so meat birds (cornish x) that should be ready to put in freezer really quick (8 weeks??) 6 or so EE just for egg production and keep for 2 years or so (depending on health and egg laying) as well as 12 or so duel purpose (RIR??) hens that I can put in freezer in 18 months or so.

They will be in a hoop type tractor that I need to build, how big do I need for my plan? I am thinking 10feet by 6 feet base, this will be an open floor design with a coop/roost/nest box inclosed space at one end, I am thinking 3feet by 6 feet.

Ok let me have it. what do you think?? This is a plan that is about a year away but I can start planning and getting ready now and tweak plan now.

Thanks Yall.

If I count all the birds you are likely to wind up with at one time, I get 28 chickens. Your tractor, which is only 60 square feet isn't nearly large enough for all those birds to live full time. You are bound to have problems keeping it sanitary and having chickens pecking at each other. I think you would want to have at least three tractors like this.

It is 24
wink.png

6-meat
6- EE
12- RIR

I could use my little tractor for the meat birds it is plenty big for the 4 in there now....
hmm.png

How big should I plan for for 18 birds?

Thanks agian

Quote:
If my math is right you will want AT LEAST 72sq feet of space (at 4sq feet bird) but I would go for more. Your tractor is still going to be on the small side and will prob cause some stress issues with the birds.

Most of what I see recommends 4 sq feet of space in the hen house but 10 sq feet of space in the run. If you're using a tractor and keeping the birds contained the whole time, so the tractor is both henhouse and run, it looks like you would need 240 sq. feet of space for 24 birds. That would be optimal. You might be able to get away with less, but certainly not 60 sq. feet.

On the other hand, commercial chicken operations give a lot less space. So in part it depends on if you want happy chickens or just chickens that don't kill each other.

see, this is why I am glad to be among yall with knowledge and experience!

I am now thinking it may be best to get the meat birds THEN after process, go back to layers/ duels.

Back
Top Bottom