My plans for the future-chickens, ducks, quail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living on a farm + holding onto a secure job don't tend to go hand in hand. When I was younger I dreamt of living on a farm. Still not quite there yet (my area is a mix of "mini farms", with half city slickers and half retirees who refuse to stop living a self sufficient lifestyle) but I've only gotten this close because we decided we can get by on one income, so I "retired" in my early 30s so I could do more work for no pay. :p

Either have a lot of kids to help out with work or marry rich to pay for someone to do the work. :D
Right. Solid point. Hmmm. I kinda just mean getting a big chunk of land, and putting a lot of animals on it, so maybe I go for a lot of birds and have a freelance job? I haven't sussed out all the details XD I know that I want to get married at some point, but I probably don't want kids. They seem like a lot of hassle. I still haven't figured out jobs. Is it bad that I'm planning most of my life around getting animals?

Here is my view on quail:
Cons:
-They want nothing to do with humans. When I stand in front of their cages, they begin to panic.
-They fly well.
-They are very difficult to handle.
On the other hand,
Pros:
-They lay lovely little eggs.
-Their feathers come in such nice colors.
-They do not take up much space.
-They are small.

Attachments

• IMG_6226.jpg
    IMG_6226.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 0
In my experience, quail are really beautiful birds. Here is my view on them:
Cons:
-They want nothing to do with humans. When I stand in front of their cages, they begin to panic.
-They fly well.
-They are very difficult to handle.
On the other hand,
Pros:
-They lay lovely little eggs.
-Their feathers come in such nice colors.
-They do not take up much space.
-They are small.
I have mostly been looking at pictures and housing requirements of quail. You say that they get panicked when you come over? Do you think that this could be changed with positive reinforcement training, or is it just generally how they roll? I have never eaten quail eggs but I have seen pictures and they are adorable.

I think it is because they are small prey animals and just generally very nervous. As chicks they always shied away from me. And now as mature birds, I don't think they would respond to training. But some people claim they can train quail to a certain extent, so I am not sure.
When I first put my quail in their hutch, they would try to get from one section to another (the sections are separated by hardware cloth, with a door on one side), and they would pace the walls endlessly without realizing that a door exists. They still do this sometimes, although in the end they find the door.

I think it is because they are small prey animals and just generally very nervous. As chicks they always shied away from me. And now as mature birds, I don't think they would respond to training. But some people claim they can train quail to a certain extent, so I am not sure.
When I first put my quail in their hutch, they would try to get from one section to another (the sections are separated by hardware cloth, with a door on one side), and they would pace the walls endlessly without realizing that a door exists. They still do this sometimes, although in the end they find the door.
Ok! I might just try to train mine when they're young, but what happens happens.
So they're not always the smartest of birds? Duly noted. My friend was expanding their chicken coop, so one wall of the run was open. Their cochin was *very* determined to get through the wall that still had hardware cloth :confused: birds will be birds.

Not in my experience:confused:

Definitely.

Yes, I think training with treats *might* work. I haven't tried it.
When I first got my hens they were TERRIFIED. Now they run toward me whenever I come over! I think that the way to a bird's heart is through it's stomach.

I think that the way to a bird's heart is through it's stomach.
I agree! But my quail have got it into their heads that hands are dangerous, so even if I held out food to them, it is unlikely they would come towards me. This is the opposite of my chickens, who assume I am always bringing them something good to eat.

With quail, the first weeks are very important in how they respond to humans. Here's a story to explain:

I ordered a batch of 20 from a breeder that were 4-5 weeks old. I lost 3, sold two and have 15 left.

Of those 15 I have 3 I can usually reach in and pet without them trying to get away. 2 of which are only used to me because I have had to treat them separately and handle them because of scalping wounds. Only 1 is naturally curious and friendly.

I hatched out eggs myself and I had 12 hatch. One had health problems and had to be culled. That left me with 11.

Of those 11, I can pick up and hold to some length all 11.

My theory is that they are friendlier than my bought ones because I hatlndled them constantly. My 15 from the breeder were raised with automatic everything and only have contact with people when they need to move a bird.

I think if you handle them as chicks they will be friendly as adults. But as small prey virds, there will always be to some degree a bit of fear in those birds.

With quail, the first weeks are very important in how they respond to humans. Here's a story to explain:

I ordered a batch of 20 from a breeder that were 4-5 weeks old. I lost 3, sold two and have 15 left.

Of those 15 I have 3 I can usually reach in and pet without them trying to get away. 2 of which are only used to me because I have had to treat them separately and handle them because of scalping wounds. Only 1 is naturally curious and friendly.

I hatched out eggs myself and I had 12 hatch. One had health problems and had to be culled. That left me with 11.

Of those 11, I can pick up and hold to some length all 11.

My theory is that they are friendlier than my bought ones because I hatlndled them constantly. My 15 from the breeder were raised with automatic everything and only have contact with people when they need to move a bird.

I think if you handle them as chicks they will be friendly as adults. But as small prey virds, there will always be to some degree a bit of fear in those birds.
Ok! That's what I was thinking! With all small fluffy creatures, I generally handle them constantly anyway, so this shouldn't be a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom