My polish crest

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LaurasLeonard, Dec 24, 2016.

1. LaurasLeonard

LaurasLeonard Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Murrieta ca
    I just noticed this morning my 8 month old pulleys crest looks like sticks in the center. I' m worried about what causes this. It has been really wet and rainy this week, but I don't see evidence of mites. Does anyone have suggestions?

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Can you share a picture? They might be pin feathers; my 2 newest girls(Buff polish) are both sprouting pin feathers in their crests. They're 7 months old and going through a winter feather growth spurt, adding more plumage.

Could be what's going on with yours, but a picture says 1000 words in these cases ;)

3. LaurasLeonard

Aug 30, 2016
    Murrieta ca
    Thanks here is a pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Yep, sure enough. Those are pin feathers. As new feathers grow in, the appear like little needles or tubes; kinda like a straw with the feather inside. They'll scratch the outer sheath off and there will be a new, pretty feather inside.

No worries, perfectly normal. Young birds don't have their first official full molt until they're 12-18 months old, so they just grow a few more here and there until then.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. LaurasLeonard

Aug 30, 2016
    Murrieta ca
    Thanks I'll post a pic when she is pretty again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by