My pollet Chai isn’t doing well

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
Chai isn’t coming back :( she hasn’t been seen since my last posting about her, and since then I have been so upset. Her sister Penelope is also so cute, but she isn’t the same :( I miss chai so much, she was my special chick. Thanks to everyone for the support about her. We only have 2 pollets left, Penelope and munchie (which I’ve never mentioned)

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
We suspect a hawk for the killings. Is there anything I can do about the hawks, they are coming during the day. Shooting hawks is illegal, so that’s out \_(“/)_/

topochico225

Your mom
Premium Feather Member
Dec 27, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
We suspect a hawk for the killings. Is there anything I can do about the hawks, they are coming during the day. Shooting hawks is illegal, so that’s out \_(“/)_/
Oh no, I’m so sorry! That’s so frustrating!

It worked very well for me to hang CD’s around my yard. When the wind blows, the sun reflects off the shiny part and scares hawks. I had 2 Cooper’s Hawks sitting on top of my bantams’ run trying to get at them, and the CDs worked like a charm when I put them up after.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Sorry for your loss. Were there any feathers? When my adult Polish hen was attacked by 2 hawks one on each side of the chainlink fence, they just decapitated her and left her body intact, taking the head. I recently lost 3 chickens free ranging in the middle of the day from a bobcat attack. We only knew what when it came back for the last body. Foxes will drag them off without a trace. Raccoons are also common in day or night.

PolishAllTheWay

Songster
Dec 13, 2020
Sorry for your loss. Were there any feathers? When my adult Polish hen was attacked by 2 hawks one on each side of the chainlink fence, they just decapitated her and left her body intact, taking the head. I recently lost 3 chickens free ranging in the middle of the day from a bobcat attack. We only knew what when it came back for the last body. Foxes will drag them off without a trace. Raccoons are also common in day or night.
It’s not a hawk. Today we were outside and we saw a red fox run across our field, we haven’t seen any feathers which would make sense because foxes kill them fast

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
I would lock them in their run, and make sure that they cannot dig under the coop or run, at least for the time being. Here is a video showing how to put a predator apron around your run:

Top Bottom