My [poor Buck has a cocklebur Dreadlock!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by midwestmilkmaiden, Sep 15, 2009.

1. midwestmilkmaiden

midwestmilkmaiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    My Nig. Dwarf buck's gruff is one big matted mess of cockleburr!!!!

I moved them into the other side of the pasture and I thought we had cut all of the burdock back (aka.. cocklebur) but.. guess not!!! [​IMG]

Poor buddy!.. if I cut his gruff ... because I think that's the only possible solution if I don't want a dready goat!.. Will his gruff grow back???

Thanks!

2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    hhmmm.....not too sure, but you could ask on www.backyardherds.com if no one responds on here. It's BYC's sister site for livestock and there are a TON of goat people on there!!!!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't cut it off just yet.

For horses (I have no goat experience) the solution is fairly easy, even for severely felted-together masses: Showsheen. (Or whatever is your favorite other brand of silicone-based coat spray).

Spray it on real good -- with horses, you need to sheild their eyes with your hand if you are trying to saturate a forelock, so you may want to sheild the goat's nosie or something when you do it. You wanna get the mass soaking wet. Then leave it to dry for a half hour or so. When you come back to it, do not try to pull the burrs out from the hair -- pull the HAIRS out away from the MATT, a small amount at a time. I do not know why it makes a difference to do it this way, but it really really does.

With horses, even horrendous burdock matts can be disentangled this way, with showsheen and patience. The hair will look squiggly and 'permed' for a short while afterwards, b/c of being "in rollers" for so long <g>, but soon returns to a normal appearance.

As I say, never done it on a goat but I see no reason it wouldn't work there as well.

Good luck, "have fun",

Pat

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If it is hair it will grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by