My poor chickees had quite a day today......

write2caroline

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Jacksonville
So I went in and gave the post office a heads up I was expecting chickens on Monday. I went back each day to inquire about a peeping parcel or package. Each time I was told "NO" someone will call you in the morning. EAch time I made a personal visit into the post office too and several calls.

No calls Tues
No calls Wed
No calls Thursday until 4:55 pm...uh we have your live birds here and you need to come get them - The post office closes at 5pm and I am at least 15 minutes away. I call back and they tell me that a postal worker is going to swing by and drop them off.

So 15-20 min later a postal worker comes to tell me that she had them on her route because she thought they were ducks for someone else - Did I mention it was 100 degrees today? I did not get a call this am because they thought the chicks were ducklings and didn't call the PHONE number on the package????? So she took them out for delivery only to discover it was not addressed correctly - she looked inside and discovered they were chicks not ducklings. Still no phone call. She claims that they did call several times but I have only one message on my phone and as a census crew leader I always have my phone on me. I did not miss the call. I let the one time it rang go to voice mail and checked the message because I did not recognize the number from the postoffice.

So my poor darlings were on a truck for the entire day....Then she brought them to me. She was coming out to see if I was home when she called on her personal cell phone.

We dipped all their beaks -some are doing great and five or so are looking dehydrated. I have been checking to be sure they get some water and gatoraid.

We will see how they do tonight.

34919_junechicks2010_003.jpg
[/img]

34919_junechicks2010_004.jpg
[/img]

They are the variety pullet pack from MPC
I have no clue what they are: Thinking some leghorns, RIR, Barred Rocks and a couple of GLW but not sure about the rest - I will take more photos tomorrow. Please feel free to help me guess what they are - I am suppose to have at least 5 different kinds of chicks.
Caroline

I am amazed they were all alive when you did finally get them. Gatorade???? How do you use that?
I use Enfamil's Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins without iron. I use .5ml per quart waterer once or twice a day for birds that are shipped. I don;t use anything for my own hatches.

I do see 5 different types of chicks in the boxes. No clue what they are though. Need close up pictures.

Good luck with your babies.

Just an update:

22 of them are doing great! I am watching 3. Only 2 of the original three are still iffy and one is back in the watch box. I am happy to say the one little light colored one with stripes is totally active. This am I found one I thought hadn't made it but it is still living and was being sat upon by another chick.

So in the nurse box they get a gruel made from chick 1/4 c crumbles, 1/4c water, a very little 8th of a tsp ACV and a 4th tsp gatorade - It is very watery. I use a spoon and bring it right up to thier beaks. They drink and get moisture and a little food too. I do this once an hour and maybe they take an 8th tsp but I bet it is less than that. I figure if I can get some water in them and a little food it might jump start them and they can get back to the business of chickhood. 1 of the 3 peeps loudly- they are definately warm enough 95. Once they perk up they go back and I see if they eat and drink on thier own. The nurse box has cooler spots and warmer.

One of the yellow chicks has pasty butt. Not too bad but I am watching her too. She is much too active for the nurse box. After yesterday, I am thankful the majority of them are good.

Caroline
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Oh Caroline! I'm so glad you got them today. If it had taken this long to get to Oregon, I know I wouldn't have had that one day with Angel the Silkie. I'm now super worried about my little bantam Barred Rock. I like your approach and you seem to know what to do with these little ones. I'm wondering how you get any kind of food into their little beaks! When I tried to help Angel I couldn't get her to open her beak. What do you do?

I don't have pedialyte but I am now giving them plain water with crumbles in a gruel and all are taking it and one looks much better but is still rocky - the other two are really sleepyish but will take some liquid when offered. Since they hatched on Monday they are technically nearly a week old and should be moving around a lot and not so sleepy. We are checking them every half hour.

I was hoping this one was a speckled sussex It is the only one like this :
34919_junebabiesii_003.jpg
[/img] face shot
34919_junebabiesii_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom