MY POOR DOG HAS A COUGH.

Snugglepup wrote: It can also be a sign of a bruised/collapsing trachea. If he's on a tie-out and pulls against his collar a lot, he would be at risk for damaging his trachea.

My dog fell off the porch and hit his chest, he seemed fine at first, but he started wheezing and coughing a little later. An x-ray showed a partially collapsed trachea. The vet prescribed aminophylline and hydrocodone/homatropine and within 3 days, he was back to his old self.

It might be a good idea to get your dog x-rayed, to check his heart, lungs and trachea. If his trachea is bruised, he should heal quickly with the right medications.​

AT A MINIMUM- You should call your vet.

I had a dog diagnosed with kennel cough and as it turns out it wasn't that at all. She died the next day when her lungs filled with blood from a tumor. I don't blame the vet, her situation was a rare one (she had a tumor)--- but the vet did prescribe a cough suppressant which helped her a lot.

Sandra

I was just about to say the same as snugglepup. To be honest, it's not likely to be kennel cough if your dog doesn't come into contact with any other dogs besides his one companion. Kennel cough (also called bordatella) is essentially..a flu virus. It's also easily controlled by vaccine.

I also, like snugglepup, suspect your dog has injured his trachnea with the pulling and choking. If this is the case, I'd recommend attaching his lead to a body harness rather than a collar around his neck.

For this reason, I never tie my dog up outside by the neck. Its just too dangerous.

I'm with Ashley on this one. My first course of action would be to call the vet and describe the dog's symptoms and take it from there. There are too many possibilities.

Quote:
I know several people with dogs on chains...they just go in their doghouses like a dog that's not on a chain
idunno.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30333161@N00/145352917/

I was wondering whether the chain was loose enough to be able to get in the doghouse, because there could be enough slack to tangle around the house or get in a tangle outside and damage his trachea.

Quote:
Sorry, I have been so busy that I haven't checked my email in a week. On Sunday, we kept him inside all day and calm. MOnday, I reluctantly tied him out again. We brought him in again as soon as we got home each day and in really only 4 days he was much better. Now no cough at all. However, on Monday afternoon, I started with a little cough. Of course, I mega dosed on Vitamin C and something my folks swear by (bovine Collustrum) and was fine on Wednesday. I'd also been feeding Boots the Collostrum and, of course Mom and Dad say that was what did it. He's fine now. Steele coughed once last week, but he never got it, thank goodness. I could never have brought that crazy boy inside.
smile.png

Thank you for your concern,

Beth

Quote:
Cara,

The boys used to have a dog house - before we got the chickens and for a while after too. But they NEVER, and I do mean NEVER used it, so we would up using it as a temporary coop for the chickens when we did get them. When Boots is off his leash, (when I'm home) he usually lays right up against the front door, or if my folks aren't in town in the laundry room. Steele, when he's off the lead, runs the neighborhood. Again, before chickens he used to sleep under the motor home.

I just posted and update that Boots is back to normal . I think it was a cold and he's better now.

Thank you,

Beth

Back
Top Bottom