My poor hen ☹

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
One of my favorite girls Hennessey, doesn't look too good lately, she has broken feathers either from being moved around by my family, or from something else. I've never seen the other chickens really bother her unless they do it while inside the coop at night, but I wouldn't think so because shes one of the main popular hens in the flock. I've also noticed this kinda white color on the top of her head. Can anyone please tell me if she is okay? Does that white stuff mean shes sick?? Are her feathers going to grow back? Did the hurricane weather we just had here in florida stress her out? I'm very worried and concerned now.. thank you!!!
P.s. she has always looked partly like this since I got her from someone else, just the white patch and the broken feathers are new.
20190904_184138.jpg
20190904_184151.jpg
20190904_184155.jpg

One of my favorite girls Hennessey, doesn't look too good lately, she has broken feathers either from being moved around by my family, or from something else. I've never seen the other chickens really bother her unless they do it while inside the coop at night, but I wouldn't think so because shes one of the main popular hens in the flock. I've also noticed this kinda white color on the top of her head. Can anyone please tell me if she is okay? Does that white stuff mean shes sick?? Are her feathers going to grow back? Did the hurricane weather we just had here in florida stress her out? I'm very worried and concerned now.. thank you!!!
P.s. she has always looked partly like this since I got her from someone else, just the white patch and the broken feathers are new.View attachment 1898598 View attachment 1898599 View attachment 1898600
I'm not sure where the white is that you are referring to but she is in the process of moulting. If you are not already doing so, providing a complete feed with 18-20% protein will help her grow her new feathers in.

On top of her head. It looks almost like a gray or white paint. That could have been there before, maybe I didnt notice it. I'm not sure. She just never really looked good since I got her. And I got her awhile ago. Do broken off feathers grow back? My sister just told me that three of them broke off yesterday accidentally while transporting her.
I'm not sure where the white is that you are referring to but she is in the process of moulting. If you are not already doing so, providing a complete feed with 18-20% protein will help her grow her new feathers in.

The second picture shows the broken off feather.
On top of her head. It looks almost like a gray or white paint. That could have been there before, maybe I didnt notice it. I'm not sure. She just never really looked good since I got her. And I got her awhile ago. Do broken off feathers grow back? My sister just told me that three of them broke off yesterday accidentally while transporting her.

Those things on the top of her head look like new pin feathers. You'll probably see some little whitish things that fall off when the feather starts to open. @DobieLover gave you good advice about feeding her good quality food. She will look beautiful soon and she'll feel so much better! I have one that's on the tail end of a molt and she's definitely looking and feeling better. Good luck!

Thank you! I just get very nervous when it comes to my chickens health
Those things on the top of her head look like new pin feathers. You'll probably see some little whitish things that fall off when the feather starts to open. @DobieLover gave you good advice about feeding her good quality food. She will look beautiful soon and she'll feel so much better! I have one that's on the tail end of a molt and she's definitely looking and feeling better. Good luck!

I should also say that the whole coop can look like someone had a pillow fight in there, and sometimes the poor chickens can look REALLY REALLY horrible while molting. Growing feathers takes protein and you can give her a boost by giving her scrambled eggs or a little tuna a few times a week. Some people give canned cat food, so you can try that if you have some.

Back
Top Bottom