My poor old lady, straining and labored breathing.

otis7

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Maryland
Ms. Cluck, our old buff girl has been through the ringer since we've had her. She is was our first chicken. We saved her from culling when she broke her leg at the farm she lived. Nursed her back to walking. After that she suffered from a serious lice condition, us newbie chicken owners didn't see what was going on until she was rail thin and lethargic. Treated her, she came back to health from the brink of death. Then we caught her laying by herself in the pumpkin patch, her comb was pale and had flopped over. She assumed this was the end, until I picked her up and she vomited on me. Sour crop. Treated with daily massages and olive oil. Perky red comb, back to health.

None of this is really related, I guess I just need to vent because I love my old girl and worry about her constantly. Yesterday she laid down most of the day, shell take Two or three steps and then plop down again. At first I though injury, but visual inspection produced nothing. She straining her vent, and breathing is raspy, almost wet sounding. She had a little yellow, smelly diarrhea yesterday while I was examining her. After i was done she just laid in my lap, very rare for my snarky, independent girl. She's been loosing feathers for months now but hasn't grown any back, her feathers are spotty and disheveled. I put a heat lamp on her last night as temps have been in the 30s at night and I'm worried she doesn't have the proper protection. Any ideas?

She laid a handful of eyes after her leg healed, but I think she's retired. Were her third home now, and I think she's on the older side. 5 or 6 years? Don't think it's an internal egg laying issue, we've lost a girl to that before so I'm a little familure with the side affects. Maybe her poor health has kept her from laying and she still is a layer? Know nothing of her history...

She's eating out of our hands now, but no water. I have sulmet, but have never used it, should I try some for the wheezing?

Back
Top Bottom