My poor Rooster...

sjmarshall87

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Carthage
So here's the deal. I started with 33. I had 30 Hens and 3 Roosters. Those number have RECENTLY begun to drop.
barnie.gif
I now have 26 Hens and 1 rooster (this morning it was 2). My Roosters keep committing suicide to save their girls. This has all started within the last week or so. I had all 33 at the end of August. I took a trip to CT for a few days and left my DH in charge. I came home and 5 were missing
hit.gif
.. We thought it may be a fox issue. Never saw a thing. Today I watched one of my poor roosters charge a coyote
ep.gif
because the coyote was going after his girls! Well that poor rooster unfortunately... didn't make it.. My dog was on a SHORT vacation in the house with myself and our son when the coyotes ( yes, plural!) hit..

My dog is very protective of his "friends". Even more so now with his recent loss of our other dog (very old). This dog used to stay out ALL DAY AND NIGHT with our recently deceased friend as well as the girls. With the passing he has been wanting to be in more (perfectly understandable being a "social animal"). I guess my question is.. having these "attacks" being so sudden are these coyotes new to the area OR has my dog been keeping them at bay?
idunno.gif

Just a guess, but I would say your dog has been doing a good job of keeping them at bay. Coyotes are just about everywhere in the U.S. and have been here a long time.

My guess is the dogs, but now that you are down to one a pack of coyotes can and will kill a dog for sport. I would be investing in a gun and take care of some coyotes frankly.

Agree with all the previous posts. It sounds like the coyotes have discovered easy meals at your place and will keep returning as long as that's the case. It would be best to provide impenetrable shelter for your animals and/or only let them out under human supervision, with a shotgun handy. The coyotes are doing what comes natural for them, so it's up to us to protect our flocks and other pets. So sorry about your losses.
sad.png

When I saw the coyote run off with my poor rooster my DH unfortunately wasn't home.. He is the "gun man" in the household. When I told him he said he will be taking care of it. The thing I find concerning is my chickens on MANY occasions haven't been "properly" locked down in the past and nothing has happened. They are being plucked off one by one during BROAD DAYLIGHT! With the new development I am of course going to make a point of properly securing them every-night and bringing my dog in. I do not need to lose my dog to coyotes.. I know there are at least 3. The husband will be on stand-by this evening
wink.png

You need another guard dog fast. Soon it will be too late. The coyotes will get bolder and bolder until one day soon (yes they will kill in daylight) they will move in and kill your whole flock and remaining dog. No joke. I happened to my friend's 40 chickens killed in 2 days and her older guard dog. Very sad!

(...and learn to use the gun. You can do it.)

Well the dog that just recently passed did so due to old age. He wasn't much of a "guard"
lol.png
In his younger days he was the one to relay on.. Not these last few months. My current dog is about 5 yrs old. He is a German Doberman Mix.. Beautiful dog who was military trained. Fortunately, because of his playful demeanor he was able to come home with me.
gig.gif
For the time being.. I am keeping a watchful eye on both the dog and chickens during the day. The dog makes a good alert of coming trouble. We have been searching for another dog to add to the "flock"
wink.png
Maybe this will be the perfect excuse.

All I know currently is my DH will have a wonderful time shooting at these moving targets. He dares them to come back now that we know whats causing the disappearance

Back
Top Bottom