my poor silkies pecked head

Nevada Sun

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Howden, Manitoba, Canada
Hi,, I am pretty sure my girl will be ok but I walked into the coop about an hour or so ago and found my rooster and maybe others on my poor silkie girl... first I just thought for a second that the rooster was just having his fun with her but a second later could see NOPE!!! oh how sad this is.. her whole head looks like it is bald, he pecked her so bad looks like no feathers on her head and blood oh my goodness was there blood,my brother in law who has chickens said that we will wait and see if it is just her feathers on her head full of blood that makes it look so swollen,,I sure hope so because she has a very big head right now.. any suggestions .. just leave her, she is eating and of course I have her in my Hospital.. glad I did put one in..

Yes, I have her separated , I have a separate area in my coop and in that I put up an inclosed area with a perch and a door of course, with nice mink wire, so she is warm and away from others,, do you think there is a chance of her growing her feathers back if the bump isn't her head feathers? my poor little girl has so much blood ... if it isn't her feathers is there something I should put on it?

Do you have an antibiotic powder you can put on her wounds ? You can puff some onto her head to try and minimise the risk of infection. It may be an idea to keep her somewhere warm - she will probably be in shock too.

Good luck!

Suzie
hugs.gif

Here are some pictures not very good really didn't want to scare her,, and this is my rooster who did it.. still love him but ... I hope she will be ok without anything as she sure hates when I go in her little room... I only have 3 antibiotic cream that I use on us or dogs...would something call" something" sporin work?

I agree with the post above, Neosporin can do amazing things. I had a banty cochin pullet that got picked so badly that you could see the skull on the top of her head. I coated it liberally with Neosporin, set her up with food and water in a rabbit cage, and within a few weeks she was almost totally healed. It took her a couple of years to grow feathers back there, but she eventually did.

thanks,, I will try neighbors around here and see if we can find any.. or just go and pick some up...from what I can see she is down to her head no feathers so this should help..really glad to hear they can grow back..thanks again..

I'd probably chop my roosters head off right then if I walked in on that.. :( I hope your Silkie is okay. Clean it with warm water and iodine if you have it.

Back
Top Bottom