My pretty visitor

JulieNKC

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City
I found this moth knocking on my window, so I let it in to take some pics of it. Just thought I'd share.
smile.png

68502_p1050772.jpg

Oh, it's a Luna Moth! I haven't seen one of those in over 20 years! That really makes me think of my childhood in the woods of Maine, we'd always see them. I don't think I've seen any anywhere else since then. I love those, they're so pretty and sweet. I used to sit on my porch at night and they'd land on the house by the spotlight and I'd just sit and stare at them in awe. Thanks for reminding me of a fond childhood memory.
smile.png

edited to correct late night typos
tongue.png

Last edited:
Yes I love watching the ones here...I have let them inside for a bit and when they go back to the sliding glass door, I open it for them to go outside. Very cool and neat creatures.

Incidentally, the ones I had in the woods of Maine were HUGE. I don't know if they are all that big or not, and it's hard to tell from the OP's pic, but I'm talking like the size of my fully spread out hand! Just beautiful.

Quote:
They're all huge!
smile.png
I love Lunar Moths. I don't see them very often.

Yeah, I kind of thought they all were, but I've really never seen them anyplace but there, so I wasn't sure. Also, in those woods we had some weird *mutant* gigantic things. Extra big moths, extra big frogs; we discovered a lot of giant sized stuff deep in those woods!

This is the first one i've ever seen here. Hubby called me in the room asking me if I wanted to catch a huge butterfly for my daughter. I was so excited to see what it was, so I let it in to take a few pics, then let it back out. Now I'm going to be watching for them more often.

Back
Top Bottom