My progress (New Update 11/4 Only 1 silkie made it)

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
Well, I have a few eggs left from the eggs I got from Jen at Sassy Silkies that may make it. Most of them were taken out yesterday due to no progress. And they are on day 10 in the bator. I also have 9 left of 11 sent to me from Ms. Jaynie in AL. They are on day 12. And I threw in about 8 of my faverolle pullets eggs really just to test fertility and to see if I am incubating right and I am 100% so far on them, live moving babies and they are also on day 12. So I am excited. They will be a silkie X faverolle cross so who knows what they will look like or if they will even hatch. I am prepared for that if it is the case. Just keep your fingers crossed that the remaining 3 or 4 (can't remember today) from Jen make it. I started with 18 from her so I don't have high hopes for these guys. But we will see. Darn post office probably x-rayed them or something. I don't know. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me. I will keep you updated. I have to set the hatcher and the brooder up soon. Can't wait.

Marie

Last edited:
I am on day 8 with both.

I have 6 blue/black orpingtons and 11 blue/black ameraucanas. All of the eggs are from speckledhen. The ameraucana eggs from her hen "Silver" seem to be the most viable right now. I can't see anything at all in the orpington eggs because of the dark shells.

We have had a major swing in weather and keeping things right has been like herding cats.

Marie, your not far behind me I have 15 eggs in the incubator on day 14
smile.png
and i"m incubating shipped eggs as well and we've had a 50% loss up to this point which is kind of sad but wasn't unexpected

Good luck with your hatch
Crystal

I have lost about 80% on one set, from Jen at Sassy Silkies. But I am way up on the ones from Jaynie so maybe I will get some nice chicks. Will have to see. Keep me posted and good luck!

Marie

MissPrissy,
I'm so glad to hear you describing the 'major swing in weather' problem. I've been having to check my 'bator really really often since all this rain set in.

Herding cats is hard!!!

The weather is wreaking havoc with my bator too - temps are swinging too widely and the humidity is through the roof.

I've had to vent the lid, and today I've added 3 water bottles as a heat sink to hopefully help stabilize the temps. I used 17oz recycled drinking water bottles and used already warm water so as to not drop temps.

I'm hoping that will help keep the swings in temps to a minimal level. Of course the whole thing was running perfectly until this rainy weather set in here.

BUT we do need the rain, so I can't complain too much, but it would have been better for me to get the rain a little at the time rather than a whole summer's worth in 3 days. We are already over 4" total here...

I am checking the incubators nearly every hour watch for the temp and humidity flux. The weather has been hot and dry and we have been in drought conditions for months. Suddenly it is cool, wet and raining. I am not complaining! We need the rain. I am concerned about my eggs.

I am concerned too but I work so I can't be home to check mine. I wish I could. I do have them in a room where there is not much going on and things stay pretty stable. I did have to up the temp a bit when the cold set in but so far I have not done anything about humidity. I am running it a bit low this time because I have had problems with chicks not hatching all the way so I am trying something different. I am letting the humidity get lower before adding any water. So far the air cells look right, so I guess it is working. I will probably add some water soon though. I am on day 12 on the first batch. I just want to make sure enough of the liquid dries up inside the egg. I have read and think that may be some of my problem. We will see. Hope everyone has a great hatch.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom