My Pullet Ate Too Much Grit- yes really!

Edited to add: I missed your reply discussing mill date. My apologies šŸ˜„

My CCL hen that's having crop issues tends to go crazy for pellet feed. I'm not sure why. She has multiple options but always goes for the Purina Flock Raiser Pellets. One odd thing I'd look at is the mill date of the feed. I know this probably sounds crazy but my birds turn their beaks up at feed that's not fairly fresh. I discovered this because they would not eat a bag of their regular feed that I had just purchased. I looked at ingredients and everything was the same and then started looking into the quality of the feed. I checked the mill date and it was 5 months old. This is well within the companies acceptable dates but I've always checked and searched for feed that's been milled within a month of purchase (preferably a couple of weeks). I returned the feed and got a bag that was more fresh and problem was solved. With this being an individual bird issue, that's probably not the case, but I guess I'm just grasping for something to help. Some people don't have the option of purchasing really fresh feed but I'm sure our birds get used to what they're always fed. That's wonderful news that her crop was empty this morning. Have you tried some raw egg? She needs some nutrients to recover (which I know that you know) so before too long, I'd think about learning to tube feed. I know that her surgery was expensive. Have you contacted the vet about her lack of appetite and asked what they suggest before more problems begin? We're all cheering for her full recovery! You've really done a lot to help her. I hope you realize how amazing you are!

Last edited:
Also, how does her incision look? I know you can only see the incision on the skin layer, but how's it looking? If you tube feed, keep a close eye on that area. I imagine a lot of healing has already taken place but her crop muscles are probably still healing. I'd check the temperature of the skin around that area too. It probably wouldn't hurt for her to be recheck and I'd hope that would be included in what you've already paid since it's a post OP. Please keep us updated šŸ’œ

Also, how does her incision look? I know you can only see the incision on the skin layer, but how's it looking? If you tube feed, keep a close eye on that area. I imagine a lot of healing has already taken place but her crop muscles are probably still healing. I'd check the temperature of the skin around that area too. It probably wouldn't hurt for her to be recheck and I'd hope that would be included in what you've already paid since it's a post OP. Please keep us updated šŸ’œ
Her incision looks good as far as I can tell. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll need tube feeding, she seems to have a turned a corner for the better. šŸ¤ž Though sheā€™s primarily been eating clover leaves, dandelions, and mealworms. It does look like she got into crumble a bit while I was at work, I donā€™t think she touched the pellets. I still have water with nutridrench in with her and gave her another mL this morning.
tldr she is not getting a balanced diet, but Iā€™ll take that over starving. Iā€™ll contact the vet on Monday if she hasnā€™t improved anymore or starts backsliding. And I do appreciate all the support on this site and the ideas, this is a great community! ā˜ŗļø

Whoops! Itā€™s been over a week since I updated. Fancy is doing better. Her incision is healing up well, just scabby at this point. She is eating more, but still requires her eating coach, Nettie, and only touches wet mash. ā€œNo pellets for me!ā€ says Fancy. Unfortunately her crop isnā€™t emptying very well. šŸ˜‘ At least this time it isnā€™t grit, so Iā€™m able to massage it through kinda sorta. Her poop is brown, though with a watery consistency, so at least I know sheā€™s digesting! I got her a crop bra, second day with it. Canā€™t say I can see a difference, but it canā€™t hurt. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø
67CD8B79-36A4-425E-BD14-7A7766F0C6B3.jpeg

Fancyā€™s behavior is great though! She had some extended time in the run this last weekend. Had no trouble telling the other girls whoā€™s boss and tried a coup against the head pullet, Dora. šŸ™„ Dora won that little scuffle easily, since you know Fancy is half starved. Fancy than had a great time dust bathing lol.

Sheā€™s also become quite the little cuddle bug. She enjoys her crop massages and a lot of the time settles down for a nap after.
CC241F05-7C1F-4DFA-A175-6D83F3E952C0.jpeg
B2E1B019-2901-472E-AF39-39D19D6F3125.jpeg

I think Iā€™ll put her back out once her digestive system is up to snuff and sheā€™s at 3lbs.

Fancy has been outside since around Xmas. She handled the single digit temps like a champ a few weeks ago!
3F1FCA0B-EE2D-40F5-BF1A-95BB7E8ACA92.jpeg

Unfortunately, she does seem to have continuing digestive system issues. She seems to mostly be pooping diarrheaā€¦ Her appetite and behavior are all very good though! Aaaand then something else popped up today. Her right foot and leg are swollen and warm to touch. Gave her an epsom salt soak, but canā€™t find a bumble scab???
FCB728C2-D0C4-4857-A167-CB41D14C660A.jpeg

Edit:made a separate thread for the foot issue, seemed better to separate it out

Attachments

• F6484AE0-FF5C-4A03-8E20-0C244F1A0E41.jpeg
    F6484AE0-FF5C-4A03-8E20-0C244F1A0E41.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 2
  • B92D758A-E33C-45A3-BC13-C85746CD846A.jpeg
    B92D758A-E33C-45A3-BC13-C85746CD846A.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1CB2A061-D111-4806-AE19-0E8DF18C39D6.jpeg
    1CB2A061-D111-4806-AE19-0E8DF18C39D6.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Fancy passed away last night, nice and warm in my laundry room, the poor little dear. I found her yesterday morning huddled next to the nesting boxes. I think she hopped off the roost and couldnā€™t get back up. Took in her for a vet appt. Her condition was not great, obviously, and she had a respiratory infection. The swelling on her leg was from edema. The vet basically said she was very unthrifty and probably had issues with absorbing nutrients in her digestive tract. Took her home with meds and she passed away probably around 3 or 4 in the morning. Just dropped her off for a necropsy and they might send samples to a lab depending on what they find.
E131C0D4-426C-40BD-AAC9-7DF3D4C4FCD7.jpeg
3B860A4E-E47D-45DC-BBA5-2AC4A8C64B49.jpeg
C4B8FF5F-6CB8-46F1-A4A5-4EBA3C38ADB6.jpeg
1FC8B10B-D1F1-42AA-A6D3-CCC37A71083A.jpeg
6302D0FF-F4FF-4B63-8C32-995B67FECB87.jpeg
EE7FC6CC-44F1-438C-BF59-C9D3858B076A.jpeg

I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear, brave Fancy. You tried and did everything for her and you both were such a great team ā¤ļø You loved her so much and that is what her life was filled with - your love and care. The pictures show that you two did have a great friendship.
RIP beautiful Fancy šŸ˜”

Fancy passed away last night, nice and warm in my laundry room, the poor little dear. I found her yesterday morning huddled next to the nesting boxes. I think she hopped off the roost and couldnā€™t get back up. Took in her for a vet appt. Her condition was not great, obviously, and she had a respiratory infection. The swelling on her leg was from edema. The vet basically said she was very unthrifty and probably had issues with absorbing nutrients in her digestive tract. Took her home with meds and she passed away probably around 3 or 4 in the morning. Just dropped her off for a necropsy and they might send samples to a lab depending on what they find. View attachment 2974575View attachment 2974576View attachment 2974577View attachment 2974578View attachment 2974581View attachment 2974580
I'm so sorry for your loss! Typed words may not really seem like much, but I'm always here if you want to chat with me. You tried your hardest to care for her, and that shows how lucky she was to have you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom