My pullet disssappeard about an hour ago and I'm devastated

SHE IS FOUND!!!! She managed to hop the wood pile over the fence into a heavily wooded and vined area behind mine and my neighbors house. My husband came home from work on break and took a look and spotted her!! Took me about 45 minutes of chasing her through thorn bushes and god knows what, bUt SHE IS HOME SAFE WITH HER FLOCK!!! Thank the lord.

The things we do for our pets. I'm going to go shower with poison ivy soap and relax, what a hellish few hours!!

Last edited:
We have an auxiliary run. 5' high welded wire fence. It has generally kept in the girls. But there have been a few fly outs. One never came back. A few months ago a hawk attacked a full grown hen. She shrugged it off. Lost some feathers.

That was a big lead up. We now have six 6 week old chicks. I don't think they would shrug off a hawk. Or be smart enough to stay near the coop. So, for the next month or so, all the girls will stay in the secure run .

One of my Japanese Bantam pullets disappeared one afternoon, and then suddenly reappeared about three hours later. I don't know where she went, but my best guess is that she wandered into the woods and explored for a while.
I'm really happy that your pullet is okay!

I’m so sorry for your chicken. I would also guess it was a hawk or an owl. We recently found a dead rat outside our chicken coop and believe it was an owl as we couldn't find a mark on the rat and an owl was up in the trees when we found the rat.

We plan to cover our run with bird netting. Best case scenario, she is hunkered down somewhere hiding.

I had my 7, 7 week old chicks, 6 pullets (and 1 roo I suspect) outside in my fully fenced 1/2 acre yard to free range like I have been for the last week. I was outside gardening and I heard a commotion of only one of the chicks so I went running over and I found 6 out of 7 just scratching away, no sign of my 1 Dominique, Harriet. I put all the chicks in the coop while I searched the yard high and low (we do have 2 large wood piles and 2 piles of small branches that she may have been able to hide in but I looked pretty well a d saw nothing. I opened I coop and now my 5 girls are on the highest roost in their coop not coming out and my roo is hiding under a stack of wood.

I also looked for feathers in the yard as a sign of a predator attack and there was none. I'm so heartbroken right now. Someone please help me. I dont know what to do and I'm devastated.
Look in trees, neighbors yards, and other hiding places. Also....do you have recent pics of her? I need help with sexing my Doms.
ETA: whoops! This thread didn’t update, I didnt see the replies.

Look in trees, neighbors yards, and other hiding places. Also....do you have recent pics of her? I need help with sexing my Doms.
ETA: whoops! This thread didn’t update, I didnt see the replies.

Oh no worries!!! I'll attach some photos of my 3 dom girls!!

Attachments

• 20200616_162739.jpg
    20200616_162739.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200616_162731.jpg
    20200616_162731.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom