My pullet laid her first egg and then nothing for two weeks now!

kuki mom

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I have a young black silkie mix about 7 months old, she laid her first egg two weeks ago (she seemed to be very down and in pain when she laid the first egg) it came out looking good. Her sister is laying eggs regularly every three days or so but the black one has not laid a single egg since then. She seems normal when she is up and about but she has slow digestion and bloated crop in the mornings. Otherwise she seems to be fine but I’m wondering how I know if she is egg bound? Does it happen a lot that first layers might not lay for a while after the first?

Attachments

• F4196893-A965-4DC7-A40D-33A885EDFD54.jpeg
    F4196893-A965-4DC7-A40D-33A885EDFD54.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 12
but she has slow digestion and bloated crop in the mornings
This should be addressed.
It could be that she has problems downstream that is causing the digestion tract to slow.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Good links about crop issues that I stole from @Wyorp Rock 's signature:
(Crop Treatment by Azygous ) (Crop Treatment by TwoCrows )

Back
Top Bottom