My pullet rooster has a large mass on his chest

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
I am new to raising chickens. I have had my first group of chickens for almost a week now. They are young pullets, around 5 weeks old. One of them is a Black Copper Maran that is definitely a rooster. He is a very sweet boy, one of the two most friendly in the group, and he is already VERY pretty. Today as I was putting them back in their coop for the night, I noticed that he has a large mass on his chest, about the size of a golf ball, maybe bigger, and perfectly round and somewhat hard.

Would this just be a full crop, or do I need to worry? He doesn't seem to be in any pain, and before bed was running around, eating like crazy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this chicken noob. Thanks!!

Sounds like a full crop to me. Check in the morning and see if it is gone.
welcome-byc.gif

Well, when I let them out this morning his chest was back to normal, so it must have been his crop. Phew! I was really worried! Now, of course, he's been a pig and it's all swollen again. haha That boy loves to eat!

Thanks!!

Yep, he's a piggie-hog! I remember being pretty nervous the first time I saw it, lol.

BTW, a pullet is a female, up to about a year old, then she's a hen.
A cockeral is a young male, up to about a year old, then he's a rooster.
So technically, a pullet rooster doesn't exist. What you have is a greedy little pig!
big_smile.png

It takes a while to get all the terminology down. The FAQs, found on the Index page, also have all the crazy abbreviations listed.

Yes, it would be the crop, last night whilst I was locking the hens up, my White Leghorn had a HUGE Crop! I couldn't even fit it in my hand, she was sitting on the perch with a huge lump! It was so funny!
gig.gif

Quote:
You will learn chicken terminology in no time.
smile.png
Never hesitate to ask for a definition if you need one.

I remember the first time I saw a big "lump" on my little rooster. I was convinced he had a tumor.
roll.png
Turns out he is a piggy too.

Back
Top Bottom