Purple Swollen Wattles and Large Mass on Chin - Help!

Mar 4, 2024
Approximately 1 year old Buff Orpington. I noticed this mass and her swollen wattles yesterday. I separated her immediately and began adding electrolytes to her water, oregano and garlic powder to her food. She had been acting completely normal up until the point when I caught her and separated her.

Our chickens free range 100% of the day (secured in a coop at night). She is very stressed being confined to the small coop and run that I use as the chicken hospital. She has paced constantly for the past 24 hours and tries to escape every time I check on her.

The mass felt squishy like a lipoma and she did not appear to be in pain. It has seemingly gotten a bit worse in the past 24 hours (mass has grown a bit). I went to the co-op today and they do not sell any antibiotics (water soluble or otherwise).

I'm not sure how to treat this as I'm about to have gallbladder surgery in 2 days and I'm not physically up to preforming minor surgery or any extensive chicken emergency.. helllpppp!
20240303_114154.jpg
20240303_114003.jpg
20240303_114151.jpg

****UPDATE****

I gave 2 doses of Duramycin (.2mls subq) 48 hours apart and within the past 10 days she is back to normal!!!

I don't know what was going on, but she is doing so well. I have kept her quarantined since she is still laying, I don't want to eat her eggs until 14+ days past the last dose of antibiotic - but Yay for a full recovery!!!

Back
Top Bottom