Swollen wattles with purple spot and swollen earlobes

Romeos Boss

Hatching
Sep 9, 2023
Yesterday I noticed a change in my barred rocks wattle. Just the one side. This morning both sides were swollen, earlobes have swollen today. Lethargic. Not eating or drinking. I was able to hand feed her water today and it was slow going at first, but then she started to drink it from the cap on her own. I continued to give her coconut water, and a small dose of Benadryl thinking that it's a allergic reaction to a bite of some sort that she would have gotten down in the garden yesterday. All the other hens are fine. Barbie is just very lethargic. Not interested in food. Her poop was fine today. Any help would be greatly appreciated in figuring out if I'm on the right track with an allergic reaction or if I'm missing something else entirely. Thank you.

Here's some pics. I'm a newbie in the group and with chickens so my learning curve is slow.

Attachments

• IMG_20230909_084015262.jpg
    IMG_20230909_084015262.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230909_084110647.jpg
    IMG_20230909_084110647.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230909_131359305.jpg
    IMG_20230909_131359305.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 14
Update: She was acting more energetic and ate yogurt and drank more water. It was clear she wanted to go back in the run with the rest of the flock. Since I saw no signs of respiratory disease and no issues with her other than the swollen face which I truly believe something stung her down in the garden, I decided to see what would happen if I put her back in the run. She ate a little bit of watermelon, some layer pellet food, and drank a little bit of water, cleaned herself a bit, and then hopped up onto a roosting bar and is sitting with the whole flock. I'm praying tomorrow morning the swelling will be down. But they're not far from going in the coop for the night and sleeping. Would love to know what everyone does for allergic reactions. I only gave her a little less than 1ml of Benadryl but it didn't reduce swelling. Don't want to give her too much. :(

I've found that prayer does wonders in just about every case with people and animals. (EX. "For I am the God who heals you..." "His eye is on the sparrow..." I also visualize a bright white healing light (God's Holy Spirit) upon anything like that, when I have the presence of mind to do so. It really does help, at least as far as I've experienced. Sometime, you'll also be led to a person, place, word, or a site on the internet that can help that particular problem, whatever it might be. Just a thought. Hope that helps.

Update: I gave Barbie 1 ml of Benadryl 2 days in a row and she has fully recovered and the swelling has gone down.The large purple spot on her wattle still exists which is where I think she was bit by something and that this was a case of an allergic reaction. My prayers were answered that it was nothing more serious than this and that I got her the right treatment to help combat and make her comfortable while she healed. Thanks for all the responses!

Update: I gave Barbie 1 ml of Benadryl 2 days in a row and she has fully recovered and the swelling has gone down.The large purple spot on her wattle still exists which is where I think she was bit by something and that this was a case of an allergic reaction. My prayers were answered that it was nothing more serious than this and that I got her the right treatment to help combat and make her comfortable while she healed. Thanks for all the responses!
Thank you for the update, I am glad that it turned out to be rather harmless. :thumbsup

So happy to know that Barbie has recovered. For me, as is apparent with most chicken mommies here on this site, the chickens are like our babies, and we suffer through the struggles of different maladies they may present.

Attachments

• IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom