Hen attacked

Betsyg16

Chirping
May 16, 2020
I have a new hen added to the flock. I thought they had all integrated well. I was wrong. Here are some pics of what I believe my rooster did to her. I separated her, yesterday after finding this. Today I poured saline solution over this wound, then I applied betadine. She doesn’t take water or food. The comb is swollen and she’s lethargic. Could this black on the one side be a scab. Any other would be appreciated

Attachments

• b23f29f8-a176-4d26-bb06-2bd70937c0bb.jpeg
    b23f29f8-a176-4d26-bb06-2bd70937c0bb.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 46
  • aab0913f-1b66-4ed2-a16c-b60e3d26a170.jpeg
    aab0913f-1b66-4ed2-a16c-b60e3d26a170.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 844ddde0-da68-4f65-af6d-af1f8f1e5787.jpeg
    844ddde0-da68-4f65-af6d-af1f8f1e5787.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 19
Poor girl. If she's bleeding like that, she may be getting picked on my the rest of the flock. I'd keep her separated until she's healed. How did you integrate her? I just had to pull one I tried to put with my flock because she was being bullied . Comb pecking.

She may be in shock or just feeling awful from the attack. Keep her separated in a warm, quiet, dark place. Offer her some warm water and sugar mixed together or poultry electrolyte mix. If she will not take it, use a dropper to drop some drops onto the outside of her beak. She may go for a raw or scrambled egg. Tagging some experts for more help with the injuries and with chicken integration behavior @azygous @Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive.

Edit to ask for more information about her integration. Was she a lone chicken being integrated? How did you go about integrating?

Last edited:
Poor girl. If she's bleeding like that, she may be getting picked on my the rest of the flock. I'd keep her separated until she's healed. How did you integrate her? I just had to pull one I tried to put with my flock because she was being bullied . Comb pecking.
It was not the best to integrate. I separated the 6 for 2 days then let the older flock out to free range, kept the newer group inside to get used to the new coop, and find where to lay eggs. After 2 days they went in the coop together.
I’m concerned about her not drinking. I’m going to give her water

It was not the best to integrate. I separated the 6 for 2 days then let the older flock out to free range, kept the newer group inside to get used to the new coop, and find where to lay eggs. After 2 days they went in the coop together.
I’m concerned about her not drinking. I’m going to give her water

Hopefully that perks her up. Be careful to ensure she doesn’t aspirate any liquid you syringe into her beak. It’s good she laid, one less thing to think about.

Integration can take a lot of time and is stressful to all parties. Generally people keep them separated for a few weeks being able to see and hear but not touch each other. I would be weary about letting this one try to integrate again until her wounds are all healed with no chance of the injuries getting reopened and pecked at by the others.

Hopefully that perks her up. Be careful to ensure she doesn’t aspirate any liquid you syringe into her beak. It’s good she laid, one less thing to think about.

Integration can take a lot of time and is stressful to all parties. Generally people keep them separated for a few weeks being able to see and hear but not touch each other. I would be weary about letting this one try to integrate again until her wounds are all healed with no chance of the injuries getting reopened and pecked at by the others.

Ok thanks
Yes I’ve got her quarantined in the house in a crate. It’s very cold here in North Eastern Tennessee. I am still concerned about the side of her eye, underneath, blood from injury. Im applying ( betadine) with q tip. The comb is swollen also.

Ok thanks
Yes I’ve got her quarantined in the house in a crate. It’s very cold here in North Eastern Tennessee. I am still concerned about the side of her eye, underneath, blood from injury. Im applying ( betadine) with q tip. The comb is swollen also.
Poor dear! Is she more active and has she eaten anything? You’ve said you’ve cleaned the wounds with saline, yes? If not be sure to give them a good rinse before doing anything else. Do you have any neosporin (w/out pain relief) that you could apply to her wounds? You would do that after rinsing. I believe you will want to keep them moist with the ointment and not allow them to dry out too much as crusty scabs become uncomfortable and don’t promote healing as well.

Back
Top Bottom