Chicken got attacked by raccoon, has a hole under her wing

Ok. I will continue with the B-complex and would do some more research on it. But her feet are not getting better today. I am very concerned. I don’t know any vet for chickens. If I randomly find some vet, I don’t even know how much it’s gonna cost and how much they can help since I don’t know their reputations. How to find a good vet for chicken and how much usually cost for this kind of situation? I have no idea. What would be the suggestions on anything else I can do for her to get better ?

I suggest you go back to page one of your thread and re-read all of the responses in case you may have missed a few. From where I'm standing, you've received a heck of a lot of good advice, plenty that you have several options for treating your hen.

You haven't given us your location, usually listed under your avatar, which would help us help you even more. As far as finding a vet, if you have other pets seen by a vet, that would be the first step. See the vet you know and ask them to help.

I suggest you go back to page one of your thread and re-read all of the responses in case you may have missed a few. From where I'm standing, you've received a heck of a lot of good advice, plenty that you have several options for treating your hen.

You haven't given us your location, usually listed under your avatar, which would help us help you even more. As far as finding a vet, if you have other pets seen by a vet, that would be the first step. See the vet you know and ask them to help.
I’m located at Northeast Ohio. I am not sure how to include that. I have read all the posts multiple times. It’s just that the problem has evolved since the first post and now she can’t walk. I don’t have other pets and never needed to take an animal to a vet.I don’t know any vet. I don’t know anyone who has chickens in the area. Asked someone who has chickens in a store, but she never took her chickens to the vet. I really appreciated everyone’s help and insights.

Vets are very expensive. Avian vets or exotic vets are even more. We see here where some people go in and it might cost $100 or $1000 or more. It depends on the vet. I would rather they tell you up front that it may not be worth the cost, or they cannot help, but many prescribe several medicines and order xray costing several hundred. I don’t take my chickens to vets, but it is fine if you trust yours. There is just so much that cannbe done for chickens. They do not tolerate anesthesia, so I would not have surgery done. Let us know what happens.

Vets are very expensive. Avian vets or exotic vets are even more. We see here where some people go in and it might cost $100 or $1000 or more. It depends on the vet. I would rather they tell you up front that it may not be worth the cost, or they cannot help, but many prescribe several medicines and order xray costing several hundred. I don’t take my chickens to vets, but it is fine if you trust yours. There is just so much that cannbe done for chickens. They do not tolerate anesthesia, so I would not have surgery done. Let us know what happens.
Yeah, indeed! That’s what I am worried about. I don’t have a trusted vet. Especially since it’s been a month after the attack now. I’m not sure how much they can help at this point. My husband doesn’t agree to take her to the vet because of the potential cost. It could end up like you said spend hundreds or thousands but still the same result. I am trying to do everything I can for her at home and really doesn’t want to lose her.

It's possible that your hen is dying from infection. Puncture wounds almost immediately start to grow bacteria as it's impossible to wash a deep wound. Raccoons have bacteria laden mouths and they almost always bite deeply. Such a wound has to be treated immediately with an oral antibiotic or the infection will spread to all the rest of the body. Probably what is happening to your hen is her organs are shutting down due to infection overwhelming the body. Her legs and feet won't work because she's getting weaker.

Now that the US government has cracked down on sales of all antibiotics, including the fish meds we all have been relying on to treat infection in our chickens, the first thing we must do is to befriend a vet closest to us. Start by asking a close friend with a dog or cat which vet they use and if they like the vet. Ask around until you find a good recommendation.

Next step is to go into that office and have a friendly chat. Explain you have chickens and will require their services occasionally to procure an antibiotic for you so that you can treat your chicken. You also will need a simple fecal float test occasionally when you suspect parasites, but that you will assume all responsibility for treatment.

This is necessary to assure the vet, because most do not treat poultry, that they need not concern themselves with treatment. This is what I did early on many years ago when I began my flock. I had a vet who treated my cat, and he would occasionally sell me an antibiotic for a sick chicken, and also has done fecal tests for me.

I suggest you do this immediately. It may be too late to save this chicken, but you will have established a relationship with a vet for next time you need antibiotics. As I said, we all must do this now that we can no longer order these meds online. Herbal remedies will only do so much. I doubt they could help in this late stage with your hen. But next time, you will have a source to obtain an antibiotic quickly and will not have to watch your sick chicken die. Because unless we all have a vet in our pocket, that's exactly what we will be doing.

It's possible that your hen is dying from infection. Puncture wounds almost immediately start to grow bacteria as it's impossible to wash a deep wound. Raccoons have bacteria laden mouths and they almost always bite deeply. Such a wound has to be treated immediately with an oral antibiotic or the infection will spread to all the rest of the body. Probably what is happening to your hen is her organs are shutting down due to infection overwhelming the body. Her legs and feet won't work because she's getting weaker.

Now that the US government has cracked down on sales of all antibiotics, including the fish meds we all have been relying on to treat infection in our chickens, the first thing we must do is to befriend a vet closest to us. Start by asking a close friend with a dog or cat which vet they use and if they like the vet. Ask around until you find a good recommendation.

Next step is to go into that office and have a friendly chat. Explain you have chickens and will require their services occasionally to procure an antibiotic for you so that you can treat your chicken. You also will need a simple fecal float test occasionally when you suspect parasites, but that you will assume all responsibility for treatment.

This is necessary to assure the vet, because most do not treat poultry, that they need not concern themselves with treatment. This is what I did early on many years ago when I began my flock. I had a vet who treated my cat, and he would occasionally sell me an antibiotic for a sick chicken, and also has done fecal tests for me.

I suggest you do this immediately. It may be too late to save this chicken, but you will have established a relationship with a vet for next time you need antibiotics. As I said, we all must do this now that we can no longer order these meds online. Herbal remedies will only do so much. I doubt they could help in this late stage with your hen. But next time, you will have a source to obtain an antibiotic quickly and will not have to watch your sick chicken die. Because unless we all have a vet in our pocket, that's exactly what we will be doing.
Thanks for the advice! I found a vet who will see chickens. But the earliest appointment is 3.13. Then I found another one pretty far from me, but I can’t make it for Monday, the earliest one is Thursday. It’s a week away though. I don’t know if she can make it to another week. I made an appointment anyways. Meanwhile I am trying to find human antibiotics. There is a walk in clinic but would only see cats and dogs on Sat. Should I bring her and see if that vet can give her some antibiotics? Would antibiotics for dogs and cats work for chickens ? What else should I do while waiting for her vet appointment which is a week away… She is still not walking, and her stool looked very runny. Bright green mixed with some white. She is still eating but not drinking much. Do I continue the b-complex and soften her hard lump while waiting ?

Yes, taking the hen to the walk-in clinic is a good idea. Tell them you need ten days of amoxicillin for her. Or if they have something stronger, get that. They don't need to examine the hen, tell them. She is suffering from infection, and she isn't eating enough for the liver to have anything to work with, so it secretes a lot of bile, that green stuff.

Continue the B-complex. f she gets weak and stops eating, put a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water. It will elevate her glucose and give her strength. She may start eating then.

Yes, taking the hen to the walk-in clinic is a good idea. Tell them you need ten days of amoxicillin for her. Or if they have something stronger, get that. They don't need to examine the hen, tell them. She is suffering from infection, and she isn't eating enough for the liver to have anything to work with, so it secretes a lot of bile, that green stuff.

Continue the B-complex. f she gets weak and stops eating, put a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water. It will elevate her glucose and give her strength. She may start eating then.
Ok. I will try the walk in clinic this Saturday. I’m not sure if they would give to me though. I would ask for the amoxicillin when I go there. Hopefully they will. Someone has 2-3 capsule of Doxycycline leftover for human. Would that work for the hen?

Back
Top Bottom