Chicken got attacked by raccoon, has a hole under her wing

Pics

Backyardchicken1

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2024
My chicken got attacked by raccoon about a week ago. I had been using saline solution to clean the area and some blue kote spray and Vetericyn spray. She is acting better , eating, drinking and walking more. However, I notice the area she got attacked under her wing had a hole. It has pus and yellow stuff leaking out and it smells. It has been smelling but I didn’t see the hole before. It looks like it’s newly formed in the recent 2-3 days. I just cleaned it with saline solution today. I am not sure how to deal with the hole and if it’s safe to apply any of the two sprays. Any suggestions on how to take care of that wound ? Thank you.

Photos

Attachments

• IMG_2396.jpeg
    IMG_2396.jpeg
    835.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    755.3 KB · Views: 26
It sounds like there might have been a puncture wound that has abscessed. Since it has burst open, just irrigate it well with the saline. If you can get some Hibiclens/chlorhexaidene or 10% Betadine/povidone iodine, you can irrigate it with one of those then switch back to saline in a day or two. Apply Neosporin/triple antibiotic/or bacitracin ointment twice a day after cleaning. Once an abscess is draining and being treated it may not require antibiotics. Amoxicillin is not available anywhere now due to a national shortage. If you can find some dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days.

Last edited:
Thank you. It looks very scary. It looks like her internal organ is exposed or sth. How would the hole grow back to normal? How long does it normally take to heal

In my experience the hole in an abscess will come together once infection (pus) is gone. If you can get an additional picture in the morning, that may help.
Thank you. Here are some better photos. I am not sure how to clean it. It looks like that’s the fat from her body.

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpeg
    IMG_2408.jpeg
    705.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom