Yawning in injured hen

dawnrae

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 7, 2011
My silkie hen sustained a couple pretty nasty, gaping, wounds on the back/side of her neck Friday due to an attack by our bantam roo (who she hatched btw - some gratitude ;P). She’s been separated, cleaned, treated with Veterycin & is eating/drinking, as well as, taking in electrolytes - definitely seems on the mend. Now I’m noticing some head shaking & yawning. I figured the head shaking is bc of the wounds/healing/medication being applied but what about yawning? Could the healing of a back of the neck wound cause yawning? I guess, I’m concerned that she may have been attacked bc the roo noticed an infection/parasite (worms??) that I haven’t yet and am hesitant to try to immobilize her with those wounds still pretty fresh. Thanks!!

Do you have a video of her actions?

Upload video to Youtube and provide a link.

Photos of her wounds may be helpful too.

With a Silkie that's suffered head/neck trauma, I would start giving vitamin therapy to hopefully help with neurological issues. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for several weeks. A bit of egg or tuna daily will help with the uptake of E.

I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight to be sure the yawning isn't just crop adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom