Rooster w/ Black wattles

Update on Bentley:
He is coping today. Still won't eat nor drink, thinking about getting him some Benadryl for the swelling. The wattle now looks as if it's shriveling up and getting ready to fall off.

Unfortunately Bentley took a turn for the worst. When I checked on him this morning his entire comb was dark purple and he was struggling to breath. I am assuming lack of oxygen caused his comb to turn color. He was not doing well at all; he was suffering.
I made the decision to humanely euthanize him. It would not be fair to keep him in the state that he was, and at the point he was, I strongly believe he wouldn't have recovered.
I want to thank everyone for all of the advice and support. I do believe this was most likely a brown recluse bite. I will be doing a full purge of the coop to hopefully get rid of any more that may still be around.
20231211_130339.jpg

That's crazy. I once had a scorpion infestation in a chicken house and the chickens ate them up if given the chance, I assumed chickens would eat spiders the same
My guess is he tried to eat it, but the spider bit him in the process. Chickens can eat venomous spiders and be fine, but being bitten is a different story.

My guess is he tried to eat it, but the spider bit him in the process. Chickens can eat venomous spiders and be fine, but being bitten is a different story.
Yeah in my head I just assumed that being a predator they had a lymphatic system like that of some other predators that makes them more or less immune to most spider bites. Obviously that's not the case. The more you know!

Unfortunately Bentley took a turn for the worst. When I checked on him this morning his entire comb was dark purple and he was struggling to breath. I am assuming lack of oxygen caused his comb to turn color. He was not doing well at all; he was suffering.
I made the decision to humanely euthanize him. It would not be fair to keep him in the state that he was, and at the point he was, I strongly believe he wouldn't have recovered.
I want to thank everyone for all of the advice and support. I do believe this was most likely a brown recluse bite. I will be doing a full purge of the coop to hopefully get rid of any more that may still be around.View attachment 3703195
I'm sorry to hear about your big beautiful boy:hugs

Back
Top Bottom