Hen attacked

Poor dear! Is she more active and has she eaten anything? Do you have any neosporin (w/out pain relief) that you could apply to her wounds? I believe you will want to keep them moist and not allow them to dry out too much as crusty scabs become uncomfortable and don’t promote healing as well.
Yes she is a little more active. I will check on the neosporin.

I have a new hen added to the flock. I thought they had all integrated well. I was wrong. Here are some pics of what I believe my rooster did to her. I separated her, yesterday after finding this. Today I poured saline solution over this wound, then I applied betadine. She doesn’t take water or food. The comb is swollen and she’s lethargic. Could this black on the one side be a scab. Any other would be appreciated
Good suggestions from @alinas2010

It looks like she has blood clots or dried blood on the side of her head. Take a warm compress/rag and see if you can work some of the dried blood off the face from around her eyes. Likely it's from the comb bleeding (combs bleed a lot and drip).
If the blood is really stuck on, then apply the triple antibiotic ointment onto the dried blood, this will help soften it up a bit and you can slowly work it off over the next day or two.
Betadine is fine to clean the comb and face tissue, just take care not to get it in the eyes. I see you also used saline, which is great.

Work on hydration as suggested, then see if she will eat for you. She may be in shock.

Keep her separated out. Sorry to hear this happened, integration can be hard.

Back
Top Bottom