My pullets are fighting?

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
We got our pullets from a woman who used, to my untrained eye, dubious methods to tell the sex of our fully feathered chicks, telling us she would buy them back if they turn out to be male. Two of them (the boldest of our six) have been running around having staring contests and flapping their wings at each other, but nothing worse then that, perhaps partially due to the fact that another of our chicks breaks them apart by standing between them. We are wondering if this behaviour could be a sign that one or two of our chicks may be boys or do all flocks have displays of dominance to see who will be top hen of the group?

Thanks in advance,
Ana

They will all spar with each other to establish pecking order, however, that particular behavior I have only seen in young males...how old are they? Can you post pics so we can see if we can further help you with sexing??

frow.gif
Welcome to the forum!
frow.gif
Glad you are here!
frow.gif

Because of scammers and such, Nifty (the owner of the forum) has imposed a waiting period for new people to be able to post pictures or provide links. It is inconvenient to respectable new members but after having to wipe my hard drive because of a virus I picked up from a link on here, I support his initiative. Nifty is doing what he can to protect us.

Sounds like they are pretty young. I have observed pullets facing off and fighting like young roosters to establish the pecking order. And in a flock of hens, often one hen will take on some of the duties of a rooster. The jury is still out on your flock. I'm suspicious, especially about the one that is doing the separating, but it could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom