My pullets don't like eating

70C542B6-ED2E-4EFE-9BE5-7E46FA4030BA.jpeg

Another favorite “treat” (which is also good nutritionally). I trim my shrubs little by little instead of all at once, and tie up the trimmed branches for the chicks to eat. That way I have a steady supply. They love it!

I have six 7-8 week old pullets, including two B.O.s, and none of them will eat the mealworms. They get free choice chick grit so not sure if it’s the brand of mealworms or what. They also rejected strawberries. They do go nuts for chopped romaine lettuce and scrambled egg so that’s what my husband and I use in small quantities when handling them.

I have six 7-8 week old pullets, including two B.O.s, and none of them will eat the mealworms. They get free choice chick grit so not sure if it’s the brand of mealworms or what. They also rejected strawberries. They do go nuts for chopped romaine lettuce and scrambled egg so that’s what my husband and I use in small quantities when handling them.
Are these the same birds as your soft shell layer today?
Do you feed these treats often?

Mama Australorp hatched three chicks and are now four months around 16 weeks. I tried them on black sunflower seeds when mine were just days old. Mama taught them about everything I gave the hens as treats. We give them scrambled eggs but not often. Ours love fruit. We start them early.

Mama Australorp hatched three chicks and are now four months around 16 weeks. I tried them on black sunflower seeds when mine were just days old. Mama taught them about everything I gave the hens as treats. We give them scrambled eggs but not often. Ours love fruit. We start them early.
Oh my.

Are these the same birds as your soft shell layer today?
Do you feed these treats often?
Nope. That was just in very limited quantities when they were younger. After several soft shelled eggs several days in a row, from what appeared to be the same chicken, things resolved on their own and are back on track again. 🙌🏻

Hi all--
So I have 7 8-week old B.O pullets at the moment, and I realized that they don't like the treats I give them. I've tried giving them strawberries, watermelon, apples, seeds, and yogurt, all of which they seem to acknowledge but turn away from. I've even tried hand-feeding it in hopes of them liking the treats. I also give them about a day or so: they eat some of it, but they aren't too interested. I was wondering what other treats I can try giving them? Maybe they're too young to like anything--they eat the chick feed only when they're hungry. The only thing they seem to be interested in is grass and worms they dig up occasionally.

Another reason I want to try giving them treats is to get them to know me. I've heard chickens tend to be food driven, so I was planning on using the treats to lure them back in the coop at dusk.
Thanks!
[/QUOTE
Hi all--
So I have 7 8-week old B.O pullets at the moment, and I realized that they don't like the treats I give them. I've tried giving them strawberries, watermelon, apples, seeds, and yogurt, all of which they seem to acknowledge but turn away from. I've even tried hand-feeding it in hopes of them liking the treats. I also give them about a day or so: they eat some of it, but they aren't too interested. I was wondering what other treats I can try giving them? Maybe they're too young to like anything--they eat the chick feed only when they're hungry. The only thing they seem to be interested in is grass and worms they dig up occasionally.

Another reason I want to try giving them treats is to get them to know me. I've heard chickens tend to be food driven, so I was planning on using the treats to lure them back in the coop at dusk.
Thanks!
that quote is so beautiful
]

Hi all--

Thanks!
I found that my chickens put themselves to bed when the sun went down. I was worried that I'd have to round them up myself but they know where they live.

I have 8-week-old Orps, too, and they LOVE scratch! Eat it out of my hand. They also love it when I take the powderized feed at the bottom of the bag or feeder, which gets left behind after they eat the larger crumbles, and mix it with water to form a damp, clumpy mash. They don’t like the dry powder but love the mash! It’s a treat without being a treat. They regard it as gold and come running for it, but you’re not actually feeding them anything new or different, so no limitations (unlike scratch, which should be restricted).
This is such a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom