My pullets keep pecking me

I have 3 new pullets that do this to me & I'm recovering from back surgery so I can't bend to peck them. :barnie

They were not hand fed & were raised on a farm with tons of other pullets so they were never handled but I walk into the run & they immediately run to me & peck my shoes & legs. Bratty little pests! :smack I have to be very careful not to trip over them, thats all I need. Hoping they grow out of it soon, they're just coming into lay.

I am happy to see helpful replies on this. My pullets will be 6 weeks old in two days, and I have been getting some light pecks now and then on my legs, when I go in the run to give them fresh water, etc. Today one of them took a peck that drew blood. In her defense, it was on a healing scar that was deep, so it wasn't going to take much. I guess I will start swatting little beaks until it stops. I'm happy to know this is normal behavior, and not something that shows aggressiveness.

Wear jeans and shoes or boots! Getting wounded is not fun, and having them not respect your space is not good.
Mary
I will have to start putting on pants. I wear a muck shoe already, but bare legs were irrestible.

And yes, being right on that scar hurt. I guess like little kids, they have to be taught there are consequences to unacceptable behavior.

Notice that chickens do not peck at birds higher in their flock social order. Is that what's going on, or is your whole group too forward towards just you?
Mary
I don't even think it is all of them pecking me. I was busy filling their electrolytes, and I think it was just one or two pecking on me today, but not sure, and not even sure who. They gather around me looking for handouts, so I am not sure who is doing the pecking. They are going through a jousting stage right now, challenging each other on every little thing. Nothing serious, just everybody appears to be testing everybody else.

Back
Top Bottom