My puppy is my peeps new predator!

For the majority of the time, the chickens r in their run because we have a serious fox problem here (lost a chicken 2 months ago from it, and caught it in action attempting to go after the rest).... We let the peeps out about 3-4times a week around 5pm
If you are letting the chickens free range for just a few hours a few times a week, then can you supervise? Do you keep the dog out with them to deter the foxes? I have a Doberman that is a house pet, has no off leash manners, and is totally ready to eat chickens. However, I had a coyote problem that resulted in our supervised free range chicken taken during the day while we were (poorly) supervising.... For a few months after that, I would tie the Doberman to a short chain on a stake, with a cushy mat, wearing a muzzle that she could eat and drink with and had already been trained to regard as no big deal. She was also trained to leave the chickens alone, but she’d bend the rules if I wasn’t looking, thus the muzzle... She had also already been trained to lay quietly. She was positioned by the forest edge where the coyotes were, and I was out there with the free range chickens and her constantly (within 50 ft; I wouldn’t leave a staked dog alone and would never ever leave a muzzled dog alone) for a quick 1-2 hr evening free range while I cleaned the coop, did chores, etc. She got treats the whole time and looked forward to her work as chicken guard. I was mostly counting on her to deter the coyotes or, failing that, to bark if she heard one in the bushes. The coyote problem went away when their chicken supply dried up, so I haven’t used her in that capacity for awhile. Not sure if any of this is helpful to your situation, but could be a temporary help while you get ready to move...

I agree with the previous posters, and you have to remember that if your puppy gets rewarded (in her mind) even once out of multiple times when she goes after the chickens, she's getting reinforcement. I think the fact that she's gotten ahold of them and is even being allowed to "hunt and pounce" is reinforcement to her. It's more fun to her than the discipline it sounds like.

I would not let her have anywhere near the amount of lead - if she's outside when the chickens are out, I'd have her on a short leash tied to your belt/waist. That way she can't go after them and you can stop the behavior while she's still in the thinking about it phase. She really can't be allowed to even get to the "hunting" and lying in wait.

I just sat with both my puppies in the yard and scolded them if they did anything more than lay or sit contentedly and watch the birds. Any muscle twitch or stare would get a reprimand. I didn't let them out unless I was around. I would keep a hawk eye on them and scold any undue attention toward the birds. Beginning a stalk or chase was bad, very bad, and I let them know it right away and made them be still and lay with me and calmly watch the birds again. It took two weeks and they had it down, solid. I still scold them if they follow any bird, and make sure to always reinforce the precedents I have set. You set the ground rules, but have to be always reinforcing and reminding them of how it is. You need to be always present until they get it down. The longer you allow it to happen at all, the more disadvantaged you will be.

I honestly think it has at least something to do with being tied out and bored. I've owned dogs all my life but I don't have a dog at the moment because I don't have a fenced yard. I have no idea how I would manage a big breed puppy without a large safe fenced area for him to run. Please think hard about how you can provide a safe place for your puppy to run at the new house. A dog who lives most of its life on a chain will often become neurotic and aggressive.

We raised our chicks side by side so he knows the command "gentle". He does try to herd them from time to time now that they are grown but has never been aggressive. IMG_4078.JPG

German Shepherds are smart and are easily bored. They need a job to do.
Our German Shepherd is out in the fenced yard all day - his day job is to bark at the cars/ATV's and pedestrians on our rural road. His #1 job is to convince anyone nearby to toss his ball for him, lol.
A tired dog is a happy dog. And they are easier to work with for training.
I just sat with both my puppies in the yard and scolded them if they did anything more than lay or sit contentedly and watch the birds. Any muscle twitch or stare would get a reprimand. I didn't let them out unless I was around. I would keep a hawk eye on them and scold any undue attention toward the birds. Beginning a stalk or chase was bad, very bad, and I let them know it right away and made them be still and lay with me and calmly watch the birds again. It took two weeks and they had it down, solid. I still scold them if they follow any bird, and make sure to always reinforce the precedents I have set. You set the ground rules, but have to be always reinforcing and reminding them of how it is. You need to be always present until they get it down. The longer you allow it to happen at all, the more disadvantaged you will be.
This method worked great for our dogs - a German Shepherd and an English Setter. The setter will still point the chickens for me on occation though - he was easy to train, not a mean bone in his body - he just wants to sniff that fuzzy butt.

Then she shouldn't be out there on the leash. If you want to keep both, you'll have to pen either the chickens or the dog for as long as it takes to train her. Can she stay in the house?

Sneaky thing: Sit inside the house. Wait for her to start hunting a chicken. Come out with full force of anger.
Even sneakier - sit in the window with the shock collar and zap her as she even approaches them. So far, it's working with our monster dog.

I moved from the burbs to a couple acres six years ago. I asked that the chickens that were already here stay. Owners obliged. I had three dogs at the time. A four year old Doberman, a six year old pit/lab, and an old Chihuahua. My pit/lab couldn't have cared less about the chickens (loved their poop, though :sick). Same for the Chihuahua. My Doberman chased one first thing. I grabbed that dog, threw him down on his back HARD and gave him a sharp smack across his nose telling him NO and BAD DOG. I held him down until he had relaxed entirely. Once. Those birds walk right under him now and have for years. The ducks noodle his toes and tail. He has never attempted to harm one ever again and is fully relaxed around them. I trust him entirely, and he is often out unsupervised with the birds. I have never had an incident occur.
New pup about five months back. Carolina Dog. Same thing. ONCE. He won't even look at the birds anymore. He's too young to be trusted unsupervised, but responds instantly to the "leave it" verbal command.
Those things being said, I'm a stickler for obedience training. I start all my dogs on circuit training first thing, and stick with it. It only takes 10-15 minutes a day, and does a whole world of good for establishing who is in charge. I start out using pieces of dried kibble, then move on to nothing but praise. Most dogs pick up really quickly and actually look forward to the time with you. In addition to training, my dogs get a daily leashed walk where they need to heel, and use their heads a bit.
Each dog is different. Some folks try everything and still can't get a response from their dog. Others try one thing and get an immediate response. Be consistent, establish boundaries with your dog, and stick with a routine. They tend to really respond well to it. Best of luck to you and your flock (and your dog)!

Shock collar, that teaches well, harsh, but effective. If you want to keep your chickens alive. I have a Scottish Terrier, she's bred to kill anything that runs, therefore, there is a fence between her and the chickens. She was here LONG before the chickens, so I couldn't break her from it, I was wise enough to know that it would be a losing battle.

Back
Top Bottom