My puppy is my peeps new predator!

I introduce my dogs (and cat) to chicks from the start, giving them loads of attention during the introductions. Here is the result.
So I have a 7, almost 8 month old puppy, who is half Lab, half German shepherd. She has gotten very bad with our chickens. She used to try to chase them to play, but recently she has really been stalking and hunting them. She crouches low and then pounces. She has removed some feathers and today she even cut the top of one of my amberlink pullets head. She is always outside on a 30ft leash, so she doesn't have full range of the backyard. However, everytime the chickens come close in her proximity, she hunts them. She gets reprimanded harshly and locked in her kennel for a few min everytime she does it, but I am very concerned about my peeps. I love them so much, but don't want any of them to get seriously injured. I'm wondering, can I train her out of this prey drive? Is it hopeless, or is there still time since she is a puppy? View attachment 1840374
Well,we never actually let her even play with them when she was younger... She would always get in trouble for chasing them. However, now that it's gotten worse, the punishment is a little harsher. When we are outside, we tell her to leave it, and she mostly listens and can even b off leash around them (with CONSTANT supervision of course), but once she is out there on her leash and we r NOT there she's back to her old ways again:he

She knows, sit, stay, give paw, lay down and no. However, when there r no treats involved, she kind of looks at me like "why? I don't feel like it"
Also when she is in the backyard unsupervised, she HAS to b on a leash. I live right on a highway and cars come zooming down the highway at like 70mph. A couple times when my kids left the door open momentarily, she has gotten out and catching her is near impossible. She almost got hit by a car once. Thankfully we r moving from here in about a month to a nice quiet road so she will b allowed to have more freedom then.

As others have mentioned, until you have 100% recall - no negotiating, no treat required - honest to goodness comes every time, no exception- and a true 'leave it' - no matter what - you won't have a prayer of letting her safely loose with your chickens. Moving to a quieter area is good- but know that won't resolve her lack of response to commands - and as such she could run right off your (new) property and cause damage to someone else's animals …

My (now former) neighbor had a similar dog - and he had zero control over that dog off leash - not great on leash either. As a result, my (100% securely penned) chickens were chased around for 10 minutes in close to 100 degrees - which is very hot for us- and I had losses (heart failure) and injuries from my panicked flock as it ran at full speed barking around the perimeter. Had it not been for my fencing (chain link + hardware cloth with hawk net on top) there would have been frenzy killing and who knows how many I would have lost. The owner couldn't catch their own dog--- *I* caught it - and then only because it had no inkling that I might catch it and take it away from its version of Doggie Disneyland - terrorized the goats too, who now bolt at the approach of ANY dog, even a very calm one. Had I not been home to deal with the horribly overheated birds, who knows how many more I would have found dead with no clue how it happened.

You've got great advice on this thread - just wanted to point out that there are other ways dogs kill chickens aside from the obvious (biting), and to keep in mind when you move that while you feel she can have more freedom- she may find someone else's animals for entertainment.

We've lost many chickens (15?), 2 geese, and 3 goats to several dog attacks. One was our neighbour's dog, the others were holiday visitors animals that they just leave to roam. The other goats were also severely injured, and when the vet came he said the only option is to cull the dogs, as once they have the taste of fresh blood, they will NEVER stop hunting at any opportunity.

The neighbour protested, and fitted a shock collar. The dog came back to our place, thankfully we were here and prevented any further killings. It went on to kill several sheep and a calf on another neighbour's land. Finally, after a year of legal wrangling between the marie and the owner, the dog was destroyed.

We know of sheep farmers that have had sheep dogs for many years operating successfully as working dogs, then out of the blue they will kill a sheep. The farmers will usually destroy the dog straight away, though we know of one farmer who pulled out all the dogs teeth as he said she was too good a sheep dog to kill.

I know many people have successfully kept dogs with prey animals, but unfortunately that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of dog owners don't have the time, understanding, or inclination to maintain proper control of their animals at all times. Regardless of your past experience with an individual, you can never rule out the dog turning on a prey animal one day. Constant vigilance is required.

OK OK I know you are all going to get your panties in a bunch, but it worked!!
I have two grown dogs, mixed and they kept killing my chickens, went from 51 to 31 in a week. When I seen one of them carrying a dead Sultan in his mouth, I came unglued!! I took the dead bird and tied it around the dogs neck and left it there for a week!!! It stunk to high heaven and the other dog would have nothing to do with him. When the weak was over I (throwing up alittle here) carelly with gloves on, because there were maggots on parts of it.....I showed the dog the chicken and yelled at him and walked him over to the chickens hutch and yelled at him again and told him ( "you do this again, and you will get another chicken tied to you") He cowered and left me. He and the other dog do not TOUCH my chickens anymore and its been four years. I heard some one else talk about this training way, and hated to be so harsh, but it WORKED!!! Damnzil Chick P.S. I loveeee my dogs
Hi, thanks for sharing. I've heard of this before! I know you were pushed beyond your limit!! And that response clearly got the message across to your dogs. Way to be strong!! Thanks again!!

As others have mentioned, until you have 100% recall - no negotiating, no treat required - honest to goodness comes every time, no exception- and a true 'leave it' - no matter what - you won't have a prayer of letting her safely loose with your chickens. Moving to a quieter area is good- but know that won't resolve her lack of response to commands - and as such she could run right off your (new) property and cause damage to someone else's animals …

My (now former) neighbor had a similar dog - and he had zero control over that dog off leash - not great on leash either. As a result, my (100% securely penned) chickens were chased around for 10 minutes in close to 100 degrees - which is very hot for us- and I had losses (heart failure) and injuries from my panicked flock as it ran at full speed barking around the perimeter. Had it not been for my fencing (chain link + hardware cloth with hawk net on top) there would have been frenzy killing and who knows how many I would have lost. The owner couldn't catch their own dog--- *I* caught it - and then only because it had no inkling that I might catch it and take it away from its version of Doggie Disneyland - terrorized the goats too, who now bolt at the approach of ANY dog, even a very calm one. Had I not been home to deal with the horribly overheated birds, who knows how many more I would have found dead with no clue how it happened.

You've got great advice on this thread - just wanted to point out that there are other ways dogs kill chickens aside from the obvious (biting), and to keep in mind when you move that while you feel she can have more freedom- she may find someone else's animals for entertainment.
Wow. Thanks for telling us about this. We don't have the heat problem.But dogs are everywhere! And scared and exhausted chickens, are a real drag! Glad you were home to catch that dog!

As a dog trainer I offer this advice: Both you and your pup need to go to obedience training. Find a puppy class where you join people and their dogs at least once weekly. There you will learn how to have her respect both you and your chickens. Training the “Leave it” is very important but first she needs to learn that she must always focus on you. Dogs want to please you and learning how she thinks and how to communicate with her will make her your loyal companion. The Keller book of Basic Dog Obedience is a great tool for training but it can not replace the learning you and your pup will gain from a group class. It will not take long for everything to improve and the benefit will last a lifetime.

Yes. Your pup will learn the chicks are off limits. It takes a lot of attention on the front end but she’ll get there. When I was growing up in Louisiana my grandparent’s chickens roamed the property freely amongst my grandpa’s two Walker Hounds. The dogs wouldn’t even blink an eye at the chicks. The hounds were actually their protectors against the wild life set on picking off those birds.

Yes, you can train her out of it. It's going to be harder, because by your description of the issue, you haven't done much to deter her until now (Sorry if I misinterpreted.) "Begin as you mean to go on." is about the best training philosophy I've ever heard. Since she's pretty much been allowed to hunt chickens with impunity, she's going to be pretty confused when you put your foot down.

A command equivalent to "Leave It!" should already be a part of her vocabulary; if not, I would begin with that. She shouldn't be allowed around them unsupervised, so that you can correct bad behaviour as soon as it occurs (dogs get confused when you punish after the fact.)

A shock collar may be your friend. Some people have more success with them than others do; some people find them entirely distasteful. It's the only way I've ever persuaded a beagle to come out of the woods when she was on a scent, so I believe that they're a useful training tool—so long as the dog is of a stubborn enough disposition/in such a situation that you can't train her in another way.
So you love your chickens? Then you must put your foot hard down! In the long run, your puppy may end up being the birds best friend/ watch dog!

Can not echo more, train the dog. You can't do this on a 30 ft run so put it away. Dog goes outside on a normal leash (with you) or back in the house. Keep the dog on a leash at all times while in the yard. Toss bread out for the birds and stand there with the dog while they come to eat it. Put your dog in a sit or down and make the dog stay there while they eat. If the dog gets up, make a correction and back into sit/down immediately. Allow the dog to watch and nothing else. No movement towards the birds at all. Repeat this several times a day .. every day. Over and over and over. The dog has to learn that the birds are off limits. They will learn but it is up to you. If you allow the dog freedom in the yard and the dog chases after the birds, any training you have tried to do will be undone. Any movement towards the birds and even focusing it's attention on them must be corrected immediately. As the dog has already learned it can stalk and harm the birds it's going to take a bit more work and time.

I have Siberian Huskies. #1 for prey drive and killing chickens. They have all learned to leave the birds alone. It can be done but you are going to have to work at it.

20171021_150111.jpg

A short video of a different pup being worked with.

Last edited:
Well I have 5 dogs and not one has ever chased or injured a bird. My puppy is a poodle and she mingles daily with the birds. I am calm so the dog is too. Im not thinking she will ever hurt the birds. Sitting as the dog runs around and correcting any bad behaviour quickly is the key. Tied up the dog wants to go smell around and then when a bird finally comes the dog jumps the bird..

Back
Top Bottom