My puppy is my peeps new predator!

If you have been doing it a while you can probably just use noise now. Just a thought :)
Actually, we've been able to go one better than even that. Skye is very smart, but when it comes to rules, she has a very convenient case of selective memory loss. As soon as we put the (uncharged) collar on her, she automatically remembers every "manner" she's ever been taught ... including those concerning the chickens. Forget the collar, and she forgets the rules!

"We let the peeps out about 3-4times a week around 5pm."
If you let the Girls out late in the day, then why not keep the dog in during that time? Seems a simple solution. Then, when you go out take the dog with you and under close supervision. Going back in? Dog goes back in with you. :)

We've lost many chickens (15?), 2 geese, and 3 goats to several dog attacks. One was our neighbour's dog, the others were holiday visitors animals that they just leave to roam. The other goats were also severely injured, and when the vet came he said the only option is to cull the dogs, as once they have the taste of fresh blood, they will NEVER stop hunting at any opportunity.

The neighbour protested, and fitted a shock collar. The dog came back to our place, thankfully we were here and prevented any further killings. It went on to kill several sheep and a calf on another neighbour's land. Finally, after a year of legal wrangling between the marie and the owner, the dog was destroyed.

We know of sheep farmers that have had sheep dogs for many years operating successfully as working dogs, then out of the blue they will kill a sheep. The farmers will usually destroy the dog straight away, though we know of one farmer who pulled out all the dogs teeth as he said she was too good a sheep dog to kill.

I know many people have successfully kept dogs with prey animals, but unfortunately that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of dog owners don't have the time, understanding, or inclination to maintain proper control of their animals at all times. Regardless of your past experience with an individual, you can never rule out the dog turning on a prey animal one day. Constant vigilance is required.
What a drag. I honestly can't stand how dogs are treated like royalty. Literally getting away with murder.
I come from a dog loving family. I love my dogs. My dad, who is crazy for dogs, had to kill many growing up, including one of our own. It weighed on him, but it was the only way to deal with them. They would not stop attacking our goats, sheep, meat rabbits, and chickens. It truly bothers me that folks think that a dog's life is worth more than another critter's.
I've personally lost more birds to neighbor dogs than all other predators put together. They rip through fencing, tear at pens, and kill my birds. I honestly don't care if it's not their fault. Predators are predators to me.
Best of luck to the OP. I sure hope you find a method that works for you, your dog, AND your chooks.

This is one of the most stressful situations you can face -- "family members" who don't play well with others.

Certainly your pup's habit needs to be corrected quickly, while (or if) it still can be.

I just wanted to share a tale that's quite the opposite. Years ago, we acquired a male Boston terrier. He was 2 years old when he came to us, and had been strictly a city house dog. I was alarmed from the start because any time I was opening the gate to a chicken run, he was pushing and trying to go in with me. Other than this, he showed no signs of aggression in other situations.

One day, on a whim, I decided to let him go in with me -- thinking "OK, buster, it's time we find out what's on your mind." Inside the pen, he stayed right against my shins, and between me and all those vicious-looking chickens -- he just wanted to protect me from them.

The chickens soon got accustomed to him and would barely get out of his way when he was in their space.

So I used to tell chicken people that when they get a new dog, pay close attention to the new guy but don't jump to any conclusions about how he/she behaves around the birds.

Shock collar. It will take less than 5 times. Try noise first and if she doesnt listen then set on lowest setting and hit her. I place my box on collar right behind the ear.
Labs are pretty stubborn when birds are involved. I tried a shock collar on my Lab. I bowled my lab over like a bowling ball a dozen times. He would get back up and keep going soon as I let go the button. Even filled his backside with buckshot three times.
Got tired of digging pellets out of his butt every week so I bought him a pool.

If you let the Girls out late in the day, then why not keep the dog in during that time? Seems a simple solution. Then, when you go out take the dog with you and under close supervision. Going back in? Dog goes back in with you. :)
I don't want to be handicapped by having to remember all those rules, and/or hope anyone who visits knows those rules. I would rather teach the dog one rule. Leave the chickens alone.

OK OK I know you are all going to get your panties in a bunch, but it worked!!
I have two grown dogs, mixed and they kept killing my chickens, went from 51 to 31 in a week. When I seen one of them carrying a dead Sultan in his mouth, I came unglued!! I took the dead bird and tied it around the dogs neck and left it there for a week!!! It stunk to high heaven and the other dog would have nothing to do with him. When the weak was over I (throwing up alittle here) carelly with gloves on, because there were maggots on parts of it.....I showed the dog the chicken and yelled at him and walked him over to the chickens hutch and yelled at him again and told him ( "you do this again, and you will get another chicken tied to you") He cowered and left me. He and the other dog do not TOUCH my chickens anymore and its been four years. I heard some one else talk about this training way, and hated to be so harsh, but it WORKED!!! Damnzil Chick P.S. I loveeee my dogs
I have never had to resort to this yet, but this is exactly how my parents, grandparents, and other farmers and ranchers I knew years ago when I was a kid dealt with chicken killing dogs. Not as a first attempt of training, but for dogs who knew better in your presence then had a chicken party when you left. The only difference in your description and how my folks done it, was a dog never wore the chicken a second time. They usually were buried, or rehomed if once wasn't enough. We had a lot of dogs, usually 4 or 5 at least at a time at our ranch, and many over the years, most only had to be scolded a few times for showing interest or chasing chickens. A few others got a spanking or two. I only can think of three that ever wore a dead chicken. One of those was a Boxer named Charlie. Charlie was smart in many ways. He knew many obedience commands and would start singing if you even showed him a harmonica. He was my buddy, but he had to go - as smart as he was, he couldn't wrap his head around not killing chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. Fortunately, we had friends in town with no birds who gave him a good home so we didn't have to bury him.

I have never had to resort to this yet, but this is exactly how my parents, grandparents, and other farmers and ranchers I knew years ago when I was a kid dealt with chicken killing dogs. Not as a first attempt of training, but for dogs who knew better in your presence then had a chicken party when you left. The only difference in your description and how my folks done it, was a dog never wore the chicken a second time. They usually were buried, or rehomed if once wasn't enough. We had a lot of dogs, usually 4 or 5 at least at a time at our ranch, and many over the years, most only had to be scolded a few times for showing interest or chasing chickens. A few others got a spanking or two. I only can think of three that ever wore a dead chicken. One of those was a Boxer named Charlie. Charlie was smart in many ways. He knew many obedience commands and would start singing if you even showed him a harmonica. He was my buddy, but he had to go - as smart as he was, he couldn't wrap his head around not killing chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. Fortunately, we had friends in town with no birds who gave him a good home so we didn't have to bury him.
Patience, consistent work. We have almost always had dogs around chickens and most caused issues at some point. Corrective measures not always same by patience and consistency were common thread to getting dogs good around birds. I kept a good 30 dogs around chickens over years and all became good around the birds after varying degrees of effort.

For the majority of the time, the chickens r in their run because we have a serious fox problem here (lost a chicken 2 months ago from it, and caught it in action attempting to go after the rest).... We let the peeps out about 3-4times a week around 5pm
If you’re only letting the chickens out for a couple of hours starting at 5:00 pm then I would recommend crating your dog or keeping her in the house while they are out as you work on training her. A dog that age can spend several hours in their crate without soiling it. Since she’s hunting your chickens I would definitely not have her tied out while the chickens are free ranging unless you are there to supervise. Also, since your dog knows how to work for treats (but wants to ignore you if you don’t have treats) the start doing training sessions where she gets intermittent rewards for performing. Rather than giving a treat every time begin giving a treat every other time. As you progress decrease the number of treats for acts performed. Change it up while you’re training. Change the frequency of treats often and she will not demand one before she will perform. Carry the treats with you so she can smell them and knows you’re legit!

The predators in my area begin their hunt for food just before dusk and just before dawn. So since I cannot be there all the time, that is the time I make my dog stay outside with the chickens. Hopefully whether he actually attempts to chase them off, I hope him being there will be a bit of deteredet as well as an alarm to alert me. Although I have been a sold out lover of dogs I figure I have to work to live here, the chickens work to live here so the dog gets chores as well.
15 minutes once or twice a day for two weeks; you can train your dog to do or not do pretty much anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom