My quail - a very sad/ happy story

FreckledEggs

Chirping
Dec 29, 2020
Somewhere in the land of chickens
One day, I thought: Let's get some quail- I looked around some quail websites and wear to get them, but I ended up getting some hatching eggs!

(The 2nd hatch)
I woke up on the weekend to hear some peep-peep's (quail chicks are very loud) and found 3 little button quail- 2 common blue and 1 gold pearl. At the end of the day, we had 7 out of our 12 eggs hatch- I was told this was a very good rate. Here were the names:

Tiny
Lively
Patch
Dove
Sprinkles
Frodo
Oak

On the 3rd day, Tiny got straddle leg- on her/his 6th day of life he/she couldn't move to get food or water- so I made the heartbreaking choice to put tiny to sleep. I bought a plant pot and layed him/her to rest and planted some tulips and daffodils on top

At around 4 weeks I found Lively dead in the brooder- and did the same with what we did for Tiny

At five weeks we moved them out to their 'big coop'

One bird (Oak) flew away and we haven't seen them since

(The 2nd hatch)

They Hatched a day late1

8 out of 12 hatch rate

Names:

Puddle
Griselda
Peculiar Moon Twig
Leghorn
Tiger
Silvia
Pancake
Panda

None of them passed in the 5 weeks that we kept them in the brooder

Only the day before yesterday- I found one of my them so close to death- this broke me- I had to put 'Twiggy' down

Yesterday I woke to silence- no screaming chickens or quail- and found 5 dead quail in the coop. Only Tiger and Leghorn left (out of younger ones)

Thank you for reading- I will update this thread if anything happens

One day, I thought: Let's get some quail- I looked around some quail websites and wear to get them, but I ended up getting some hatching eggs!

(The 2nd hatch)
I woke up on the weekend to hear some peep-peep's (quail chicks are very loud) and found 3 little button quail- 2 common blue and 1 gold pearl. At the end of the day, we had 7 out of our 12 eggs hatch- I was told this was a very good rate. Here were the names:

Tiny
Lively
Patch
Dove
Sprinkles
Frodo
Oak

On the 3rd day, Tiny got straddle leg- on her/his 6th day of life he/she couldn't move to get food or water- so I made the heartbreaking choice to put tiny to sleep. I bought a plant pot and layed him/her to rest and planted some tulips and daffodils on top

At around 4 weeks I found Lively dead in the brooder- and did the same with what we did for Tiny

At five weeks we moved them out to their 'big coop'

One bird (Oak) flew away and we haven't seen them since

(The 2nd hatch)

They Hatched a day late1

8 out of 12 hatch rate

Names:

Puddle
Griselda
Peculiar Moon Twig
Leghorn
Tiger
Silvia
Pancake
Panda

None of them passed in the 5 weeks that we kept them in the brooder

Only the day before yesterday- I found one of my them so close to death- this broke me- I had to put 'Twiggy' down

Yesterday I woke to silence- no screaming chickens or quail- and found 5 dead quail in the coop. Only Tiger and Leghorn left (out of younger ones)

Thank you for reading- I will update this thread if anything happens
I'm so sorry about your quail!! :hugs There wasn't any sign of struggle with the 5 quail yesterday? They were just dead?

Oh man I didn’t realize they were outside, buttons are not cold hardy. Even if you have heat they might wander to a colder area away from the heat and get too chilled to get back to the warmth.

Back
Top Bottom