My quail experience: we just got hatching eggs!

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking for a while, reading up about quail. I’ve really wanted to keep them for quite some time, so this year I ordered all the stuff haha. I got everything ready: incubator, candler, feed, brooder, feeders, hutch and pen, etc.

I finally ordered the eggs, 24 celadon hatching eggs off of eBay, I tried to choose a reputable seller. All went well.

Fast forward a couple weeks and my eggs are lost in the mail haha, just my luck. After several days of being in transit to next facility, the seller suggested I contact the post office(easier said than done). I filled out the where’s my package for it and low and behold, it showed up the next day!

I let them settle all day and I put them in the incubator before bed, they were about 9-10 days old when I got them so I’m hoping some will hatch.
Anyway wish me luck, I’ll post updates and pics here:)

E3FBAF55-EF32-43D0-8F6F-0334C8DF7543.jpeg

Hi everyone! Last night we candled our eggs and as of day 6- we had 4 definite duds, 4 looked like they started and stopped growing but I left them in case they were late starters and not early quitters, and 27 were definitely growing, many we could easily see what I assume was the little heart beating. Very exciting!

I threw out the 4 definite no progress eggs so a few more have no roommates in the incubator turner. The ones that are 2 per slot sometimes get all bumbled up and don’t turn because they wedge together, I make sure all are rolling freely about 2-3 times a day so I hope we are doing ok. the incubator I bought specifically was recommended to me as one good for quail, and to put 2 eggs per slot, in the future I’ll only put one per, (it has 22 slots and I ordered 24 eggs so I thought it wasn’t really a problem, then I received an extra 12 eggs in the package).

All in all they are doing marvelous for 9 day old eggs that were showing no shipping progress for nearly a week.

If I have 27 looking good at day 6, what do you guys think my end result should be? Maybe about 20? I try to keep the humidity about 35% but it’s been up about 38-40 the last day and a half with the vent slot all the way open and minimal water, so I guess all the rain lately is just making the air more humid.

:pop

I’m also doing celadon quail for the first time in the same incubator! You are a few days ahead of me so I’m watching this closely...
Wow! Small world! Do you have 2 per slot in the tray, or just one? So far I found no correlation with private or doubles showing a difference, my non starters and little progress eggs were equally spread over the incubator, and some were single, and some were double and the roommate was fine.

I’ve only got 25 in there right now so I’ve got three spaces doubled up. I tried to think of how to separate the space for them but I’m not coming up with anything that would work. I think I’ll just leave it be for now. I’m trying not be to overly neurotic about it - if I am I’ll drive my husband nuts and he won’t let me keep hatching. 😂

It’s day 10 now! Last night I candled all the eggs again, I previously had 4 that I was uncertain of, and 2 now were definite duds, plus one I had previously marked as good was not progressed at all. I’m down to 28 eggs in the incubator (I threw out the 3 duds), one of the previous potential duds is maybe a quitter, I’m not sure, so I left it in. I’ll candle again at lockdown to see where we stand going into hatch time. I’m so excited! I’m hoping to have at least 10 hens, but if I don’t, we can always hatch more when they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom