My Rabbit is pulling fur out, why?

StevieNacole

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Guthrie, Oklahoma
I know she isn't pregnant. She is outside, is she just making a nest to keep warm? She isnt missing patches of fur or anything, I just noticed clumps of fur in her hutch when I went to feed her.Is this normal? Any advise is appreciated
smile.png

88995_pc170053.jpg

88995_pb170081.jpg

Last edited:
If she has not been near a male rabbit then she isn't pregnant. Many does take there hormones to the next level: they will create nests when they aren't pregnant. I wouldn't worry at all I have a doe that does this all the time. As long as you don't see mites and she doesn't pull out hair to the point of bleeding then its normal.

Rabbits don't do what most people think of as a normal "heat," but they do have hormonal cycles. It is not uncommon for a doe to pull fur when at the peak of her cycle, at a time when she'd be most receptive to a buck. If you're trying to breed a doe, it's great to have one tell you so clearly that she's ready at that time. If you're intending to show a doe, not so much!
he.gif

All I know is that they pull fur out to line their nest when they are getting ready to have babies ... other than that, if she's healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's been a little unseasonably warm in the state this week so she may just be a little warm.

I used to have a female rabbit do that. If she isn't spayed then she will make a nest as she will think that she is pregnant when she isn't actually. My rabbit used to do this all the time, (about every few month). It is completely normal, but i would advice you to brush her incase she decides to get a hairball.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom