My Rabbit is pulling fur out, why?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StevieNacole, Jan 5, 2012.

1. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    I know she isn't pregnant. She is outside, is she just making a nest to keep warm? She isnt missing patches of fur or anything, I just noticed clumps of fur in her hutch when I went to feed her.Is this normal? Any advise is appreciated [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Could she be molting?

3. StevieNacole

StevieNacole Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Guthrie, Oklahoma
    Quote:I have no idea..... This is my first time having a pet rabbit.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she making a nest?

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    If she has not been near a male rabbit then she isn't pregnant. Many does take there hormones to the next level: they will create nests when they aren't pregnant. I wouldn't worry at all I have a doe that does this all the time. As long as you don't see mites and she doesn't pull out hair to the point of bleeding then its normal.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Rabbits don't do what most people think of as a normal "heat," but they do have hormonal cycles. It is not uncommon for a doe to pull fur when at the peak of her cycle, at a time when she'd be most receptive to a buck. If you're trying to breed a doe, it's great to have one tell you so clearly that she's ready at that time. If you're intending to show a doe, not so much! [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Is she up off the ground? I ask because I had my female by herself and she mated with a stray through the cage. Had six bunnies.

8. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    All I know is that they pull fur out to line their nest when they are getting ready to have babies ... other than that, if she's healthy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's been a little unseasonably warm in the state this week so she may just be a little warm.

9. BunniesNeedLove

BunniesNeedLove New Egg

Jun 25, 2014
    I used to have a female rabbit do that. If she isn't spayed then she will make a nest as she will think that she is pregnant when she isn't actually. My rabbit used to do this all the time, (about every few month). It is completely normal, but i would advice you to brush her incase she decides to get a hairball.[​IMG]

10. mrsfluff100

mrsfluff100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    This is false pregnancy. it is normal and she will eventually stop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by