My Rabbit is wheezing and won't eat

Orpingtons4U

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
Central Virginia
My Netherland dwarf Doe is wheezing and she won't eat but she drinks ALOT i have her in a cage next to me The Man I got Her From Said she has a cyst in her stomach and i can always feel it and she is Skin and Bones she is bred but we are going to terminate the pregnancy to see is that helps a little bit

Yes, the vet is exactly where she needs to go from the sound of it! Because of GI stasis, a rabbit not eating is serious business. I hope he can help guide you in what will be best for your bunny.

Great to hear she is eating. Keep a close, close eye on the ammount your rabbit is eating, drinking, and pooping, so you can pass that information along to your vet. It sounds like a secondary respiratory infection with other complications (the 'ulcer' is something I would confirm and get checked out for sure if it hasn't been already), but I'm not sure at all. Hope she is feeling better soon!

Great to hear she is eating. Keep a close, close eye on the ammount your rabbit is eating, drinking, and pooping, so you can pass that information along to your vet. It sounds like a secondary respiratory infection with other complications (the 'ulcer' is something I would confirm and get checked out for sure if it hasn't been already), but I'm not sure at all. Hope she is feeling better soon!

thanks i think i will stay up to night to watch her i don't care about sleep

Y'all Don't wanna help fine i will take her to the vet and see what he thinks

Maybe no one has helped because they don't know what to tell you. The symptoms you describe are not something that anyone can just take care of on their own at home. They mean you need to get to a vet as fast as possible because without veterinary treatment (and possibly even with) your rabbit will die.

It sounds like your rabbit has a severe respiratory disease and/or pneumonia. Not eating is probably due to the respiratory disease. It could be that she has fluid build up in her lungs/chest and/or abdomen that is pressing on her digestive tract making it uncomfortable to eat. It could also be that because she is having such a hard time breathing she doesn't have the energy to eat and struggle for breath at the same time (she might not be getting enough oxygen to her muscles). Unfortunately, not eating will cause GI stasis which will kill her if the respiratory disease doesn't.

A "cyst" in the stomach is very abnormal for a rabbit, it's not just a "no big deal" kind of thing. That "cyst" could be cancer (unspayed female rabbits are very prone to cancers, especially reproductive cancer) and she might be having a hard time breathing because the cancer has spread to her lungs.

You don't say how old your bunny is, but drinking a lot could be a sign that she is in kidney failure. Kidney failure can be caused by toxins, some diseases, or the kidneys just getting old and wearing out. Only bloodwork will be able to tell you if she is having kidney failure or not. Treatment may improve kidney function and buy her some quality time, but kidney failure is not reversible unless it is caused by a toxin (and even then it often isn't).

To be quite blunt, the last rabbit I saw that had the same symptoms as you describe did not make it through treatment. Chest x-rays showed that he had fluid in his lungs (in fact, his lungs were so full of fluid that we couldn't even see his heart on the x-rays), a high white blood cell count on a complete blood count showed that he was fighting a serious infection, and blood chemistries showed that his kidneys were failing. We had hoped that he would pull through since he started eating enthusiastically once we put him on oxygen, but his condition worsened in less than 24 hours and we had to euthanize him because he was dying in front of us. If you want to try to save your bunny, she needs to go to the vet right away. Even then, if she is in as bad a shape as your description paints her it may already be too late.

Maybe no one has helped because they don't know what to tell you. The symptoms you describe are not something that anyone can just take care of on their own at home. They mean you need to get to a vet as fast as possible because without veterinary treatment (and possibly even with) your rabbit will die.

It sounds like your rabbit has a severe respiratory disease and/or pneumonia. Not eating is probably due to the respiratory disease. It could be that she has fluid build up in her lungs/chest and/or abdomen that is pressing on her digestive tract making it uncomfortable to eat. It could also be that because she is having such a hard time breathing she doesn't have the energy to eat and struggle for breath at the same time (she might not be getting enough oxygen to her muscles). Unfortunately, not eating will cause GI stasis which will kill her if the respiratory disease doesn't.

A "cyst" in the stomach is very abnormal for a rabbit, it's not just a "no big deal" kind of thing. That "cyst" could be cancer (unspayed female rabbits are very prone to cancers, especially reproductive cancer) and she might be having a hard time breathing because the cancer has spread to her lungs.

You don't say how old your bunny is, but drinking a lot could be a sign that she is in kidney failure. Kidney failure can be caused by toxins, some diseases, or the kidneys just getting old and wearing out. Only bloodwork will be able to tell you if she is having kidney failure or not. Treatment may improve kidney function and buy her some quality time, but kidney failure is not reversible unless it is caused by a toxin (and even then it often isn't).

To be quite blunt, the last rabbit I saw that had the same symptoms as you describe did not make it through treatment. Chest x-rays showed that he had fluid in his lungs (in fact, his lungs were so full of fluid that we couldn't even see his heart on the x-rays), a high white blood cell count on a complete blood count showed that he was fighting a serious infection, and blood chemistries showed that his kidneys were failing. We had hoped that he would pull through since he started eating enthusiastically once we put him on oxygen, but his condition worsened in less than 24 hours and we had to euthanize him because he was dying in front of us. If you want to try to save your bunny, she needs to go to the vet right away. Even then, if she is in as bad a shape as your description paints her it may already be too late.

She is about 2 to 3 years more or less and okay *Sniff Sniff*my mother says she is fine if she is eating WELL MAYBE NOT GAHHHHHHHHHH I can't do anything in my house i am taking her to the vet 2ma if anybody likes it or NOT

Back
Top Bottom