1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rabbit just had babies. What should I be feeding the Mom

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1Lynda, Oct 5, 2013.

1. 1Lynda

1Lynda New Egg

Oct 5, 2013
    My rabbit had 5 babies yesterday. The babies seems to look healthy. What should I be feeding the Mom? I have always given her hay, rabbit pellets and fruit and vegetables. She seems ravenous!

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
  3. BackyardFarmMama

BackyardFarmMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Lower NY
    Unlimited Pellets and hay. You can feed her fresh fruits and vegis until the babies come out of the nest box and start poking around the food. Once the babies are eating keep them away from the fresh stuff. You can still hand feed it to her as long as you're sure the babies don't get any.

4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    ^^^^^^What they said. All the pellets she'll eat, and then some. She'll appreciate the hay, too. Like they said, fruits and veggies until the babies come out - plus, it's a rare rabbit who doesn't like some nice clover and dandelion. (I have one, though....:confused: )

Question: I've read that you can give lactating rabbits cow milk - both liquid and powdered (dry) milk. Is this true? Would such strict herbivores be able to process the milk?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Don't feed milk to adult rabbits. They can't properly digest it and it can cause problems because of this.

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Thank you - that's what I thought. Seems odd that anyone would say that you could. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by