My rabbits had babies… what now?

The male is doing good and glad to be back outside. Though not happy to be separated still from his lady. He practically jumped out of my arms when he heard the locks on the door to the run. He definitely missed his sister wife being in the house. I checked on the babies today and they are looking too cute.
View attachment 2980589View attachment 2980590
Oh. My. Goodness. Could anything be cuter?!

So my two “male” rabbits sexed by a vet had babies in the middle of winter. What now? Do I bring them inside? These are pet rabbits so I do not plan on keeping the babies. I want to be able to care for the parents after we re-home the babies. Is getting them fixed the best option?
Fixed or separate are your best options

that's crazy that your vet said the other was not female you can clearly tell I sex my bunnies myself so that doesn't happen
Sexing mistakes are more common when bunnies are young.

So if the vet was sexing them when they were young, that could explain the mistake. After that, every one "knew" what gender they were, so no-one bothered to check again (until the bunnies appeared.)

Even experienced breeders with can make mistakes in sexing, although of course more experience makes the mistakes less frequent.

Sexing mistakes are more common when bunnies are young.

So if the vet was sexing them when they were young, that could explain the mistake. After that, every one "knew" what gender they were, so no-one bothered to check again (until the bunnies appeared.)

Even experienced breeders with can make mistakes in sexing, although of course more experience makes the mistakes less frequent.
I've met two people in the last few months that both thought their adult rabbits were male.
Adult rabbits with huge fat necks. 🙄

I had dwarf rabbits (EU) before I had chickens.
Female rabbits dig, male don’t
Mine did too.

I had a female bunnies and an unexpected male rabbit too just like Smileybans. Seperated him immediate after the first nest and brought the baby’s to a pet shop , for them to sell them.

The male was neutered for a reasonable price. Price lists today say it costs between 50 and 100 euro’s to neuter a buck.

Just to share;
The rabbits lived together peacefully without newborns after this. They had a big wooden box in the ground filled with sand to do what rabbits like to do (digging). When the wood in ground startet to rot at the edges they made tunnels and popped out on different places in the garden (and on the neighbours premises).

Bought and kept the rabbits in a small chicken coop with run since. Put the cage on the terrace in the cold winter and on the lawn (with hwc underneath) from early spring till late fall.

Ten years later I still have this coop with a new roof and an extension on the right. . 2 bantams sleep in the old coop every night, and it has 2 laying nests for my 7 bantam hens.

2876219F-31D6-44DD-9D7E-A5088D4BB006.jpeg

I was able to rehome the four older babies. One of the babies out of the second litter died. I think they, the dead one and another one, left the nest/ coop to explore the run and couldn’t get back. I also think the one that died might have been attacked by the older ones. This is a picture of the dead baby. It has a weird bald spot on it making me think the older babies ripped it’s fur out.
272379F6-08EA-4354-9AA5-AB7B38FCD6C0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom